One of the most serious injuries to sustain in a pedestrian accident is a traumatic brain injury. As with any type of brain injury, there are a number of additional complications that can be suffered.
If you have suffered a brain injury after a pedestrian accident in South Carolina, you may be entitled to receive compensation to address your injuries and resulting medical complications. A Charleston personal injury lawyer will evaluate your case to determine if you have a valid South Carolina personal injury claim and to assess the impact your brain injury complications have had on your life.
Some of the complications from a traumatic brain injury include:
- Post-concussion syndrome - symptoms include headache, dizziness and depression, which can last a few weeks or even months.
- Hydrocephalus - buildup of cerebrospinal fluid, which puts pressure on the brain.
- Cerebrospinal fluid leakage - can occur if a skull fracture causes membranes in the brain to tear.
- Seizures - may last a week or turn into post-traumatic epilepsy, which can last for months or years.
- Cranial nerve damage - can lead to facial paralysis.
- Damaged blood vessels - large blood vessels that are damaged could lead to a stroke or blood clot.
- Infection - bacteria may enter the brain's cavity and lead to serious infections, such as meningitis.
In addition to these complications, some brain injury victims experience chronic pain that may be difficult to treat.
If a pedestrian accident in South Carolina has left you suffering from a serious brain injury, a Charleston personal injury lawyer can talk to you about the long-term implications of your injury.
Seeking the Help of a Charleston Personal Injury Lawyer
The Charleston personal injury lawyer team at the Shelly Leeke Law Firm is available to help accident victims cope with the legal implications of a serious injury. Our firm's focus on personal injury cases includes injury from auto accidents including pedestrian and bicycle injuries, work-related injuries and Workers' Compensation claims, and injuries resulting from dangerous prescription drugs.
Before you file a South Carolina personal injury claim, request a free copy of our South Carolina injury book. When you're ready to get started on settling your accident claim, contact a Charleston personal injury lawyer for a free information packet and consultation - 1-888-690-0211.