We all know it is important to pay attention on the road and drive safe, but now it is more important than ever. South Carolina has been ranked third for having the worse drivers in the nation. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 977 traffic fatalities in South Carolina in 2015, the highest number since 2007.
A few of the leading causes for this spike in driving fatalities are:
- Distracted by cell phones
- Failing to obey traffic signals
- Failing to wear a seatbelt
- Driving under the influence
Not only did South Carolina rank third for worst drivers, but it also ranked 34th for failure to obey traffic signals and wear seat belts and seventh for speeding and careless driving.
For these reasons, South Carolina roads have become more dangerous and drivers should take extra caution when navigating the roadways. Here are a few tips to staying safe on the roads:
- Keep your cell phone out of sight while driving
- Pay attention to the road and traffic signals
- Don’t start the car until you have put on your seatbelt
- Always be aware of the speed limits as they change
- Do NOT drink and drive. If you are drinking, designate a sober driver or take a taxi service
For more information regarding car accidents, check out our articles:
- Cell phone cause 1.6 million car accidents a year
- Study finds texting drivers more likely to crash
- South Carolina DUI Laws
If you or a loved one have sustained injuries as a result of a motor vehicle accident that was caused by another driver's negligence, then you should contact Shelly Leeke Law Firm. To set up a free consultation with an experienced motor vehicle accident attorney, call 1-888-690-0211 today!