Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 1-888-690-0211
Phone: (843) 277-6061
Shelly Leeke Law Firm, LLC

Seeking Answers for Your Injury or Accident Claim? Look No Further

After an accident occurs or an injury is suffered, you may feel lost and confused. Few people who have suffered an accident or incurred an injury have an extensive background in this area. Without this knowledge, they are left wondering how best to proceed in order to protect their legal rights. Fortunately, we are here to provide you with the answers that you are looking for. Check out our many frequently asked questions and their accompanying answers for more information.

  • Page 2
  • Will travel expenses to and from the doctor be covered under my South Carolina workers' compensation claim?

    If you have been injured on the job and are pursuing a workers' compensation claim, the expenses associated with traveling to and from the doctor will be covered under your claim. Under normal circumstances, you would not have to travel to the doctor because you are uninjured. However, since you experienced an accident at work, you now have to go to the doctor and therefore have the added expense of traveling there.

    If you have a SC workers' compensation attorney, they will most likely require you to log the time and expenses so that you will be accurately compensation through your workers' compensation claim. To set up a free consultationt to discuss your South Carolina workers' compensation case with Attorney Shelly Leeke, call 1-888-690-0211 today! 

  • How long to I have to sue for my asbestos exposure?

    In South Carolina, the statute of limitations for a personal injury case is three years. While most people would assume that you wouldhow long do I have to file an asbestos claim have three years from the date of exposure to asbestos, mesothelioma and asbestos-related cancers can take decades to develop. so this is not the case. For asbestos exposure lawsuits in South Carolina, you have three years from the date you were diagnosed with mesothelioma or an asbestos-related cancer to file a claim. 

    If a loved one has died of an asbestos-related cancer or mesothelioma, then you would have three years from the day they died to file a wrongful death claim. The compensation available through a South Carolina wrongful death claim will help to cover expenses related to the asbestos exposure and your loved one's death.

  • Can I still file a personal injury claim if I was hit while crossing outside of a crosswalk?

    Even though you may have been crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, you can still file a South Carolina personal injury claim. I was hit outside of a crosswalkSouth Carolina does have laws that relate to pedestrians walking outside of a crosswalk; however, this type of case would be harder for you to win on your own. The insurance adjuster will likely try to discredit your claim, citing the fact that you were not in a crosswalk, but an experienced injury attorney who is familiar with South Carolina pedestrian laws, will help you to win compensation for your SC pedestrian accident.

  • Could there be asbestos in my child's school in South Carolina?

    Depending on how old the South Carolina school is, it is possible that asbestos was used in the building. Asbestos was commonly asbestos in schoolsused as insulation to wrap around pipes and it was also used in ceiling tiles and wallboard. This type of asbestos, called friable asbestos, can be especially harmful because it can be inhaled in the lungs. If you are concerned that there might be asbestos in your child's school, then it is recommended that you speak with someone from the school about your concern. If your child is showing symptoms of asbestos exposure, then be sure to take them to the doctor immediately and then consult with an attorney regarding a South Carolina asbestos claim

  • What are some symptoms of asbestos exposure?

    Symptoms of asbestos exposure typically do not appear right after you have been exposed to asbestos. There are some instances where you may experience a wheezing cough or difficulty in breathing shortly after being exposed; however, most often, symptons do not appear until 15 to 20 years after being exposed. Common symptoms associated with asbestos exposure include:

    • Chest pain
    • Shortness of breath
    • Frequent cough
    • Difficulty in breathing or swallowing
    • Sudden fever
    • Swelling of the face or neck
    • Nausea
    • Anemia
    • Loss of appetite/ weight loss

    While these symptoms do not automatically signify that you have been exposed to asbestos and are experiencing health issues because of it. That is why it is best to go to a doctor who will be able to determine whether or not asbestos caused your symptoms and provide you with a treatment plan that is best for you. It is important to seek medical aid as soon as you are experiencing any asbestos-related health issues because the effects of asbestos exposure can lead to cancer or even death. 

    If you have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease, protect your rights with SC asbestos lawyer Shelly Leeke. Call 1-888-690-0211 to set up a free consultation appointment today!

  • What types of accidents are NOT covered under workers' compensation in South Carolina?

    In South Carolina, there are some accidents that workers' compensation does not cover because the injury did not occur within the scope of employment.  What this means is that the accident must have occurred at the place of employment during the hours that the employee works. However, there are some instances when the accident would be covered under workers' compensation even though the injury did not happen at the place of employment. An example of this would be if transportation was part of an what accidents are not covered under workers compemployee's job and they were involved in an accident on the way to a job site. On the other hand, if an employee is traveling to work in their personal vehicle and is injured in an accident, then that would not be covered by workers' compensation. There are also other accidents that are not covered under workers' compensation, such as if the employee was intoxicated or were not using safety equipment at the time of the injury.

    The details of your specific case are what really determine whether or not your injury would be covered under workers' compensation.  That is why it is best to consult with an experienced workers' compensation attorney who will be able to determine whether or not you should pursue a workers' compensation claim. To set up a FREE consultation with Shelly Leeke Law Firm, call us today at 843-277-6061!

  • How do I get a copy of my South Carolina traffic accident report?

    If you have been involved in a traffic accident and police arrived at the scene, then you will receive a green form (FR-10) that will need to be completed by the insurance company. Then, you will want to request the accident report so that you and your attorney have a detailed account of what happened in the accident. The law enforcement individual who gave you the green form will complete their investigation and give their report to the Department of Motor Vehicles. You can then request a copy of the accident report from the DMV by completing a Form FR-50 and include payment for the $6.00 fee. The accident report can also be obtained from the investigating officer, such as the South Carolina Highway Patrol. However, if you choose to hire a South Carolina personal injury attorney, they will be able to assist you with getting the traffic accident report while you concentrate on recovering from your injuries.

  • What do I do if I am experiencing back pain from a rear end collision?

    If you have been involved in a rear end collision, it is very likely that you may be experiencing back pain as a result of the accident. One of the most common forms of back and neck pain is whiplash, which can cause stiffness. It is important to seek medical treatment immediately because back pain could potentially be a sign of a more serious injury, such as a herniated disc. If you are unable to go to the doctor or chiropractor right away, try stretching more, reduce any stress that you place on your back, and be sure to get a good amount of sleep every night. However, if your back pain improves, still make sure that you see a doctor or chiropractor. Your condition could worsen in the future, which is why it is important to start a treatment plan as soon as possible.

    After seeking medical aid for your back pain, you should contact a South Carolina personal injury attorney. They will be able to protect your rights and get you the compensation you deserve if you have been rear ended by another driver. Call Shelly Leeke Law Firm today at 843-277-6061 to set up a free consultation!

  • How much does Workers' Compensation pay?

    Once you start receiving compensation, you will get 66 2/3 percent of your average weekly wage that you were earning four quarters before your injury. However, you will not be able to receive more than the average weekly wage. Prior to the accident, if you were employed by more than one company, then you are entitled to receive compensation for the wages from your other jobs as well. The 66 2/3% is of your average weekly wage will include the total earnings that you make during a typical week prior to your injury. 

  • What is a pecuniary loss?

    As it relates to a wrongful death lawsuit, a pecuniary loss is defined as the financial loss you may experience as a family member of a person who has died due to someone else's negligence. This can include the loss of emotional support, loss of financial support, and travel, medical, and funeral expenses. In addition, it will also include interest from the time of the loved one's passing. When determing what the family members will recover, the jury will look at what income the person made before their death and calculate what the person would be making in the future. With all of these things into consideration, the amount of compensation that will be given to family members for pecuniary losses is determined.

Live Chat