Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 1-888-690-0211
Phone: (843) 277-6061
Shelly Leeke Law Firm, LLC

Seeking Answers for Your Injury or Accident Claim? Look No Further

After an accident occurs or an injury is suffered, you may feel lost and confused. Few people who have suffered an accident or incurred an injury have an extensive background in this area. Without this knowledge, they are left wondering how best to proceed in order to protect their legal rights. Fortunately, we are here to provide you with the answers that you are looking for. Check out our many frequently asked questions and their accompanying answers for more information.

  • Page 20
  • What should I do if my child is bitten by a dog?

    The first thing you should do if your child is attacked is call the police and seek medical treatment for the child. It is important to report the attack so that the police may report the incident. You should immediately seek medical attention for your child to ensure that he/she has not suffered a severe injury and that the dog was not rabid or infectious.child bitten by a dog

    After your child receives treatment for their injuries, if you would like to pursue a personal injury claim against the dog owner, you should contact a South Carolina dog bite attorney. An attorney can help you to determine whether or not you have a case and what steps to take next in order to seek justice.

  • If I am bitten by a dog or other animal, who is my case against?

    A lawsuit may be brought against the dog’s owner or keeper, or even against the homeowner of the dog if the dog’s owner did not own his or her property. The ultimate recovery usually comes from an insurance policy that covers injuries, such as the dog owner’s homeowner’s insurance policy or renter’s insurance policy. An experienced dog bite attorney will be able to examine the insurance coverage available for the dog bite victim.

  • If I have a dog bite case, what am I entitled to recover for my injury?

    If you are attacked by a dog, you are entitled to recover for the damages sustained, which includes medical bills, pain and suffering, emotional distress, lost wages, future medical bills, surgery costs, and possibly psychological damages resulting from the dog bite attack.

  • I was hit by an automobile while crossing the street. Does it matter if I was not in a crosswalk?

    No, you may have a claim against the driver that hit you, even if you were not in a cross walk. Driver’s have a duty to avoid negligently hitting pedestrians. Any number of factors can contribute to a compensable claim, such as whether you looked before crossing the street, was the driver of the vehicle distracted, texting, talking on the cell phone, and any number of additional factors. Keep in mind, the insurance company may try to use the fact that you were not in a cross walk to discredit your claim, so you should speak with an experienced pedestrian accident attorney about your case before talking to the insurance company.  Call us today for a Free Case Evaluation.

  • Who will pay for my medical bills if I am a pedestrian who was struck by an automobile?

    The at fault driver’s insurance company is responsible for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages caused by the negligence of that driver in causing the collision with a pedestrian. If you carry your own insurance policy, your policy may also pay for your medical bills and even pain and suffering in excess of the amount of coverage available from the at fault driver’s policy, depending on the coverage you carry through your own policy. Contact us for Free Case Evaluation today.

  • The insurance adjuster is calling me about my South Carolina accident- should I speak with the adjuster?

    After you have been involved in a South Carolina car accident, the adjuster for the other driver’s insurance company will most likely try calling you. They will ask for a recorded statement and if you have been injured, they will want to talk in depthwhat do i do if i am contacted by an insurance adjustor about your injuries. While it is usually alright if you speak with an adjuster about your vehicle and property damage, you should not discuss your injuries with an adjuster until you have spoken with an attorney.  

    It is important to remember that the insurance company is NOT your friend. Auto accident attorneys handle personal injury cases daily, and are used to the tactics used by insurance adjusters to devalue your wreck case. It is always best to speak with an attorney before you talk to an adjuster about your injuries. Shelly Leeke Law Firm provides free complimentary case evaluations. If you have been involved in an accident in Berkeley, Dorchester, Charleston or anywhere else in South Carolina, we can help. Contact us today at 1-888-690-0211.

  • I just got a new car and my insurance company gave me 25/50/25 in coverage- is this full coverage?

    The S.C. Department of Insurance requires liability and uninsured motorist coverage limits of $25,000 bodily injury per person, $50,000 bodily injury per accident, and $25,000 property damage per accident. Most people assume that if they meet the minimum requirements of automobile insurance, they are “fully covered.” This is not entirely accurate. You may be “fully covered’ by law, but there is additional coverage you should also consider, which includes personal injury protection, medical payments coverage, Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM), comprehensive/collision coverage, and HIGHER than minimum liability and uninsured motorist coverage. These additional coverages are offered at a small cost, and provide additional coverage to you in the event the at fault driver does not have adequate coverage to cover the accident.

    To find out if you have enough coverage, read our free consumer report on full coverage auto insurance in South Carolina.

  • Do I have a case for my South Carolina accident?

    south carolina injury in car accident

    If you were injured in a wreck in South Carolina and the accident was not your fault, you may be entitled to recover from the other driver for the damage to your vehicle, your medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.  In South Carolina, you recover to the extent that you were not at fault for the accident.  However, if you were more than 50% at fault, then you will not be able to recover anything.  It is always best to seek the advice of an accident attorney to evaluate your case and let you know the likelihood of recovering from the insurance company for your case.  Each case is different and it is nearly impossible to know exactly how  much your case is worth, but an experienced South Carolina car wreck attorney can advise you and guide you in evaluating your injury case.

    The Shelly Leeke Law Firm provides complimentary case evaluations. Call our South Carolina personal injury law firm today to set up an appointment!

  • Do I really need to hire a lawyer for my accident case?

    This may surprise you, but the truth is you may NOT need an attorney to  represent you in your injury case. You may not need an attorney for a very small injury  case. It has been our experience that in very small wreck cases, you may be able to get a settlement near or close to what a lawyer could get, and you don’t have  the added expense of attorney’s fees. However, even though you may not need an  attorney to represent you in your case, you should NEVER settle a case without  knowledge and understanding. Remember, most personal injury attorneys offer free  consultations, so consult with an attorney before deciding to settle on your own. The Shelly Leeke Law Firm provides free complimentary case evaluations. Contact us.

Live Chat