Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 1-888-690-0211
Phone: (843) 277-6061
Shelly Leeke Law Firm, LLC

Seeking Answers for Your Injury or Accident Claim? Look No Further

After an accident occurs or an injury is suffered, you may feel lost and confused. Few people who have suffered an accident or incurred an injury have an extensive background in this area. Without this knowledge, they are left wondering how best to proceed in order to protect their legal rights. Fortunately, we are here to provide you with the answers that you are looking for. Check out our many frequently asked questions and their accompanying answers for more information.

  • Page 3
  • My spouse or family member passed away from mesothelioma or an asbestos-related cancer. Can I still file an asbestos lawsuit in South Carolina?

    In this case, you would be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of your spouse or family member. Through this type of lawsuit, you will receive compensation for loss of companionship, funeral and medical expenses, loss of future earnings, and more. However, in South Carolina, you only have three years from the death of your loved one to file a wrongful death claim. As a result, it is important to contact a South Carolina mesothelioma attorney as soon as possible, so that they can advise you on how to begin pursuing a lawsuit. 

    For more information on South Carolina wrongful death lawsuits, click here.

  • What happens if I pass away before my asbestos lawsuit is resolved?

    In the unfortunate event that you pass away before your asbestos case is resolved, then your family members can continue the case on your behalf. Your Last Will and Testament will be what is used to determine who gets the compensation from your case. In addition, your family members have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit after you have passed away to cover the loss that they have personally experienced as a result of your death. 

  • What can a personal injury lawyer do for my car accident claim?

    Once you meet with a personal injury lawyer, they will be able to educate you on the personal injury legal process. They will then gather any documents that you may have relating to the accident. They will analyze your insurance policy and your coverage to see what funds are available to cover the damages and also suggest what type of coverage you should get in order for you to be more prepared in case of an accident.what can a lawyer do for my claim

    After doing this preliminary work with you, the attorney will then behing the initial investigation, which could include interviewing witnesses and collecting additional evidence. They will analyze the legal issues surrounding the accident, including liability issues and potential legal defenses. Another important job of the personal injury attorney is to review your medical records and speak with your medical providers so that they can understand the extent of your injuries. They will also check your health insurance policy to determine whether any bills must be repaid.

    If you have signed a contract with the attorney, they will take care of dealing with the insurance company for you. They will notifiy the insurance company that you are filing a claim and remain in touch with the adjuster throughout the claims process. They are responsible for negotiating with the insurance company in order to settle the claim without litigation. If a lawsuit must be filed, the attorney will draft the Summons and Complaint to file in court. They will prepare you for your deposition, prepare questions to the defendant and other witnesses, and prepare for and conduct the deposition. They may even hire experts to support or provide validity for your claim. 

    They will prepare for the trial by organizing evidence and then go to trial and try the case in front of a jury or judge. After the trial is over, they will analyze the jury's verdict in order to determine whether there is a need for an appeal and then make recommendations to you on whether or not you should appeal your case.

    If you have been injured in an accident, you should consult with an attorney before entering into any negotiations with the insurance company. You could potentially lose out on a large amount of compensation that you are entitled to if you do not first seek out the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer. To set up a free consultation with Attorney Shelly Leeke, call 843.297.8485.

  • What do I do if the insurance company offered me money for my car accident claim?

    Even though you may want to automatically accept the insurance company's offer to settle your case, you should never do so without first consulting with an attorney. You would most likely lose out on hundreds to thousands of dollars by prematurely settling your case. It is important to remember that the insurance company is NOT on your side. Their main goal is to save their company the most amount of money (by offering you the least amount of money to settle your claim). By setting up a free consultation appointment with an attorney, the attorney will be able to evaluate your case and   determine whether or not the money you were offered from the insurance company is fair.

    Shelly Leeke Law Firm offers free consultations for those needing assistance with their personal injury claim. To make your appointment with Attorney Leeke, call 843.297.8485

  • How does smoking affect my asbestos claim?

    While smokers have a higher risk for developing an asbestos-related disease, it does not mean that the likelihood that you will recover money from your claim would be decreased if you are a smoker. If you have mesothelioma, it will not be difficult to prove that the asbestos exposure was the cause of it because smoking does not cause mesothelioma. It is a little more difficult when it comes to lung cancer since smoking does cause this disease; however, asbestos exponentially increases the chance of developing lung cancer, which is why you are still entitled to compensation with your claim. An experienced South Carolina asbestos exposure attorney will be able to research your condition and separate the asbestos exposure from the smoking and get you the compensation that you deserve.

  • I was not hit by a motorist in South Carolina, but they did cause me to crash and sustain injuries. Can I still recover damages for my accident?

    Yes, there are instances where you would still be able to recover damages even if you were not physically hit by a motorist. A driver of a motor vehicle can be held liable if they were found to have been negligent while traveling on the roadway. For example, a motor vehicle driver could have swerved towards a cyclist, causing the cyclist to also swerve and crash. In this case, the motorist would be found liable and responsible for the damages and injuries sustained in the accident because they were being negligent.

    If you have been in a bicycle accident similar to the one described above, contact a Charleston bicycle accident attorney at 1-888-690-0211 to set up a free case evaluation.

  • What is an Independent Medical Examination (IME)?

    When you are pursuing a workers' compensation claim, your employer may request that you have an independent medical examination (IME) done. The doctor or chiropractor who will administer the IME Independent Medical Examtypically has not treated you in the past. The purpose of an IME is to have a third party conduct a medical examination so that their examination is not biased based upon any relationship that they may have with you. Your employer's workers' compensation insurance carrier has a right to request that you undergo an IME and should the doctor feel that your injuries are not related to your accident, then the insurance company could deny your claim. That is why it is important to seek the advice of a personal injury attorney before you begin your workers' compensation claim. Contact workers' compensation attorney Shelly Leeke today for a free consultation at 1-888-690-0211.

  • How long will it take to settle my nursing home abuse claim?

    Unfortunately, there is not a set amount of time that a nursing home abuse claim will take before it is settled. The amount of time that your nursing home abuse case will take is dependent nursing home abuse lawyer goose creekupon the specific characteristics of your case. If your case is more complicated and involves more severe injuries, then it is likely that it will take a longer amount of time to settle. If your loved one is still receiving medical treatment for their injuries, then the settlement process cannot begin. Once they are done receiving treatment, then your nursing home abuse will start to be settled. For a more in-depth explanation of how the settlement process works for a nursing home abuse case, contact a South Carolina nursing home abuse attorney today at 1-888-690-0211.

  • How long do I have to file a nursing home abuse claim in South Carolina?

    In South Carolina, the Statute of Limitations for a personal injury claim, including a nursing home abuse claim, is three years from the date that your loved one was injured. While this may seem like a long time, it is best to begin your nursing home abuse claim as soon as possible. The longer that you wait to begin your claim, the harder it will be to gather evidence and details that will help to support your case. Often, the initial consultation with a nursing home abuse attorney is free of charge, which means that you have nothing to lose by seeking the advice of an attorney as soon as you can. To speak with a nursing home abuse attorney today, call 843-297-8485.

  • What are some signs of nursing home abuse?

    Since your loved one may not be able to communicate to you that they signs of nursing home abuseare experiencing abuse in their nursing home, there are warning signs that you should look for that could indicate abuse. Signs of physical abuse can be bedsores, unexplained injuries, and stained or soiled clothing. A change in your loved one's behavior can also be an indicator of nursing home abuse. Also, you should be suspicious if the staff does not let you see your loved one at a certain time or does not allow you to be alone with them. Another sign of abuse is if you notice that there are changes in your loved one's finances or if some of their belongings are missing. 

    Click here for a more detailed description of the warning signs of nursing home abuse, or contact us today at 1-888-690-0211 so that we can help answer any questions that you may have about nursing home abuse cases.

Live Chat