Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 1-888-690-0211
Phone: (843) 277-6061
Shelly Leeke Law Firm, LLC

Seeking Answers for Your Injury or Accident Claim? Look No Further

After an accident occurs or an injury is suffered, you may feel lost and confused. Few people who have suffered an accident or incurred an injury have an extensive background in this area. Without this knowledge, they are left wondering how best to proceed in order to protect their legal rights. Fortunately, we are here to provide you with the answers that you are looking for. Check out our many frequently asked questions and their accompanying answers for more information.

  • Page 5
  • What compensation can I receive for my slip and fall accident?

    Since slip and fall cases are considered to be personal injury-type cases, the compensation can cover many of the same things that other accident cases do. For example, you can recover money for any costs related to the slip and fall, such as medical bills, medical prescriptions, and any other medical-related treatment. You can also regain your wages that you may have lost due to missing work because of your injury. Moreover, it is also possible for you to receive compensation for the pain and suffering that you endured as a result of the accident.

  • What does the "attractive display" doctrine mean?

    The attractive display doctrine mean that as a customer of a store, you may become distracted by a display in the store, which could cause you to overlook a spill or dangerous condition on the floor. The store owners purposely put up these types of displays to attract your attention, which is why they are held responsible for making sure that the floor is safe for you to walk on while you are looking at the display. While most of the time you may be held responsible for making sure that you avoid dangerous areas, in this case, the store owner is held liable because they created the "attractive display" that prevented you from safely passing through the store.

  • What should I do after I have been involved in a bicycle accident?

    Immediately after the accident you should call 911 and move out of the roadway to safety. If possible, do not move your bicycle; it is best if the police officer can see the bicycle in the original position it was in after the accident. While you are waiting for the police officer to arrive,south carolina bicycle accident collect information from anyone who may have witnessed the accident. Also, take pictures of the scene of the accident and collect the driver's contact information and the information of any passengers in the vehicle. Do not discuss who was at fault with the driver. Once the officer arrives, file an official accident report and be sure to get a copy of the report as well as the contact information for the police officer. Seek medical assistance immediately if you are injured and make sure to keep all documentation of your injuries. Even if you do not feel as though you are injured, it is recommended that you go to a doctor anyway just in case. You should then contact an attorney about the accident. An experienced South Carolina bicycle accident attorney will be able to determine whether or not you should pursue a lawsuit against the driver.

  • What is South Carolina's Seat Belt law?

    South Carolina seat belt law has always stated that every person in the vehicle is required to wear a safety seat belt. Originally, the law was secondary, which means that a police officer had to have already stopped a person for another violation before they could give them a ticket for not abiding bySouth Carolina seat belt law the seat belt law. However, as of 2005, the seat belt law became a primary enforcement, which means that a police officer can pull a person over if anyone in the vehicle does not appear be wearing a seat belt. A person can be fined up to $25 for violating the law and up to $50 for violating the legislation more than once. It is also important to note that the driver is responsible for requiring every passenger of the vehicle who is 17 years of age or younger, who does not have a license, to wear a seat belt. Therefore, if you may be wearing a seat belt and your child is not, you will get fined because your child's safety is your responsibility.

  • How do I report a DUI in South Carolina?

    While you may be hesitant to report a DUI because you are not positive report drunk driving in SCthat is driving under the influence, it is better to be safe than sorry. By reporting a driver, you could be potentially saving a life, considering the fact that many DUI accidents end in either the death of the driver or the death of an innocent citizen. If you do notice that someone is driving erratically, such as swerving or drifting to the side of the road, make sure that you keep your distance from the driver. You do not want to risk getting yourself into an accident while trying to prevent one. From a distance, try to find out the make, model, color, plate number, and plate state of the car. Before notifying the police, you should also make sure you know where you are and where you think the DUI vehicle is going so that you can accurately report the vehicle. Then, call 911 and report the driver, making sure that you give them all of the details that you noticed about the vehicle. Your local South Carolina police department will then hopefully be able to get that driver off of the road and possibly prevent an accident because of your assistance.

  • How do I apply for Social Security benefits in South Carolina?

    In South Carolina, you have to apply for Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits by going through the Social Security Administration (SSA). You can apply by telephone, at a Social Security office, or on the Internet.

    If you choose to call or visit an office, you will first have to call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. The operator will then schedule a date and time when the SSA will call you if you would like to apply by phone or schedule an appointment for you at an office if you prefer to apply in person.

    Your other option would be to complete the Social Security Disability application online by clicking here. However, this is only for SSD; you cannot apply for SSI using any Internet method.

    Although you are not required to hire an attorney to assist you with applying for Social Security benefits, it has been proven that applicants who are represented by an attorney win their benefits more often than those who decide to apply without the help of an attorney. There are South Carolina Social Security Disability attorneys who offer free consultations in order to determine whether or not you have a good chance of receiving benefits. That way, you will not have to waste your time, effort, and money applying if there is only a small chance that you will win benefits.

  • How do I know if a loved one is being abused or neglected at a nursing home?

    If someone you know is living in a nursing home or assisted living facility and has told you that they have been abused, then you should take note of some signs that would indicate abuse. For example, if there is bruising or scrapes, you should consider reporting the abuse.  Your loved one may have been moved in an improper or negligent manner that would cause these injuries.  Also take note if they have been treated for falls or any other medical problems, as well as if they are dehydrated.

  • In South Carolina, are persons living in nursing homes protected under law?

    Yes, the Omnibus Adult Protection Act was put in place to protect the rights of those living in nursing homes.  Under the law, employees at nursing homes are required to report any abuse that they suspect to have occurred and if they do not report the abuse, then they are required to pay a fine.  Moreover, the Omnibus Adult Protection Act mandates that anyone who has been proven of neglecting a resident of a nursing home will face criminal penalties.

  • Do I need to file a lawsuit if my family member has been abused?

    You may or may not need to file a lawsuit- it is dependent upon the details of your specific case. That is why it is important to take advantage of a free consultation with an experienced South Carolina nursing home lawyer who will be able to evaluate and assist you with your case and determine whether or not you need to file a lawsuit.

  • Is it necessary to have the contract between the family or victim and the nursing home available to show the attorney?

    When you consult with an attorney, it is important that you bring the contract with you for them to review. Additionally, if you have any other contracts with the nursing home, you should bring them as well so that the attorney is fully informed of the legal relationship that was made with the nursing home.

Live Chat