Your Legal Questions Answered.
Answering Your Questions. Protecting Your Legal Rights.
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident, you probably have many questions. Below are the answers to many questions faced by accident victims in South Carolina. If you do not see the answer to your question, just call our office or email Shelly directly - [email protected].
Research Your Case. Expand Your Knowledge.
- Page 1
How large is a tractor trailer?
Tractor trailers weigh up to 80,000 lbs; these are the most common large trucks on the road in the Charleston area. Larger and oversize trucks can weigh more and require special permits. As a comparison, the average passenger car weighs 5,000 lbs.
What is a logbook?
A truck driver is required by federal law to keep a log book. This logbook contains a record of their hours of service (driving time and rest breaks), as well as where they have been, such as the Port of Charleston, and where they are going. If you are involved in an accident with a truck, the logbook may contain valuable information for your case.
Are there rules governing how long a Tractor Trailer or 18-wheeler truck driver can be behind the wheel before he has to stop for a break or to rest?
Yes, drivers of tractor trailers, 18-wheelers, large buses, and other large trucks must abide by the Hours of Service (HOS) regulations. These vary depending on the size of vehicle and type of cargo. For example, a driver of a commercial bus carrying 20 passengers is allowed to drive a maximum of 10 hours after 8 hours of rest.
What is the most common cause of tractor trailer accidents?
According to studies by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, truck drivers’ actions contributed to accidents 87% of the time. Of the remaining 13%, 10% are due to mechanical issues with the truck, and 3% are caused by the outside environment.