Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 1-888-690-0211
Phone: (843) 277-6061
Shelly Leeke Law Firm, LLC

Your Legal Questions Answered.

Answering Your Questions. Protecting Your Legal Rights.

If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident, you probably have many questions. Below are the answers to many questions faced by accident victims in South Carolina. If you do not see the answer to your question, just call our office or email Shelly directly - [email protected].

Research Your Case. Expand Your Knowledge.

  • Page 1
  • What are the golf cart laws in South Carolina?

    In South Carolina, golf carts can be driven on secondary roads, but only if the speed limit is not greater than 35 miles per hour. You golf cart laws in South Carolinaare permitted to cross highways and streets that intersect the secondary roads, but it is important to be especially cautious when doing so. In order to legally drive on public roads, golf cart drivers are required to get a permit by providing proof of title and paying a fee of five dollars. Golf cart drivers are required to follows all of the laws of the road that apply to motor vehicles. If a person is driving under the influence while operating a golf cart, they will face the same charges as a driver of a car would. Minors who do not have a license are not permitted to drive on public AND private roads. If a police officer pulls over a child on a golf cart, their parents will receive a $217.50 fine. Although South Carolina does not require golf cart drivers to carry insurance, it is recommended that you get your cart insured in case of an accident.

    If you have been in an accident with a golf cart in South Carolina and the accident was not your fault, contact an experienced personal injury attorney today at 843.277.6061 so that we can help you get your life back to normal. 

  • What happens if I did not call the police after my South Carolina car accident?

    No matter how small your South Carolina accident may be, it is always a good idea to call the police so that your accident is what happens if I did not call police after my accidentdocumented. If you do not call the police, it is very difficult to prove your case, and the insurance company or the person who caused the accident may dispute the facts of the case if there is no documentation of what happened. 

    If you were injured in an accident and you did not call the police, it is still recommended that you seek legal help from a South Carolina auto accident attorney. Shelly Leeke Law Firm offers free case evaluations that can be scheduled by calling 843.277.6061

  • How do I get a copy of my South Carolina traffic accident report?

    If you have been involved in a traffic accident and police arrived at the scene, then you will receive a green form (FR-10) that will need to be completed by the insurance company. Then, you will want to request the accident report so that you and your attorney have a detailed account of what happened in the accident. The law enforcement individual who gave you the green form will complete their investigation and give their report to the Department of Motor Vehicles. You can then request a copy of the accident report from the DMV by completing a Form FR-50 and include payment for the $6.00 fee. The accident report can also be obtained from the investigating officer, such as the South Carolina Highway Patrol. However, if you choose to hire a South Carolina personal injury attorney, they will be able to assist you with getting the traffic accident report while you concentrate on recovering from your injuries.

  • What do I do if I am experiencing back pain from a rear end collision?

    If you have been involved in a rear end collision, it is very likely that you may be experiencing back pain as a result of the accident. One of the most common forms of back and neck pain is whiplash, which can cause stiffness. It is important to seek medical treatment immediately because back pain could potentially be a sign of a more serious injury, such as a herniated disc. If you are unable to go to the doctor or chiropractor right away, try stretching more, reduce any stress that you place on your back, and be sure to get a good amount of sleep every night. However, if your back pain improves, still make sure that you see a doctor or chiropractor. Your condition could worsen in the future, which is why it is important to start a treatment plan as soon as possible.

    After seeking medical aid for your back pain, you should contact a South Carolina personal injury attorney. They will be able to protect your rights and get you the compensation you deserve if you have been rear ended by another driver. Call Shelly Leeke Law Firm today at 843-277-6061 to set up a free consultation!

  • What can a personal injury lawyer do for my car accident claim?

    Once you meet with a personal injury lawyer, they will be able to educate you on the personal injury legal process. They will then gather any documents that you may have relating to the accident. They will analyze your insurance policy and your coverage to see what funds are available to cover the damages and also suggest what type of coverage you should get in order for you to be more prepared in case of an accident.what can a lawyer do for my claim

    After doing this preliminary work with you, the attorney will then behing the initial investigation, which could include interviewing witnesses and collecting additional evidence. They will analyze the legal issues surrounding the accident, including liability issues and potential legal defenses. Another important job of the personal injury attorney is to review your medical records and speak with your medical providers so that they can understand the extent of your injuries. They will also check your health insurance policy to determine whether any bills must be repaid.

    If you have signed a contract with the attorney, they will take care of dealing with the insurance company for you. They will notifiy the insurance company that you are filing a claim and remain in touch with the adjuster throughout the claims process. They are responsible for negotiating with the insurance company in order to settle the claim without litigation. If a lawsuit must be filed, the attorney will draft the Summons and Complaint to file in court. They will prepare you for your deposition, prepare questions to the defendant and other witnesses, and prepare for and conduct the deposition. They may even hire experts to support or provide validity for your claim. 

    They will prepare for the trial by organizing evidence and then go to trial and try the case in front of a jury or judge. After the trial is over, they will analyze the jury's verdict in order to determine whether there is a need for an appeal and then make recommendations to you on whether or not you should appeal your case.

    If you have been injured in an accident, you should consult with an attorney before entering into any negotiations with the insurance company. You could potentially lose out on a large amount of compensation that you are entitled to if you do not first seek out the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer. To set up a free consultation with Attorney Shelly Leeke, call 843.297.8485.

  • What do I do if the insurance company offered me money for my car accident claim?

    Even though you may want to automatically accept the insurance company's offer to settle your case, you should never do so without first consulting with an attorney. You would most likely lose out on hundreds to thousands of dollars by prematurely settling your case. It is important to remember that the insurance company is NOT on your side. Their main goal is to save their company the most amount of money (by offering you the least amount of money to settle your claim). By setting up a free consultation appointment with an attorney, the attorney will be able to evaluate your case and   determine whether or not the money you were offered from the insurance company is fair.

    Shelly Leeke Law Firm offers free consultations for those needing assistance with their personal injury claim. To make your appointment with Attorney Leeke, call 843.297.8485

  • What is South Carolina's Seat Belt law?

    South Carolina seat belt law has always stated that every person in the vehicle is required to wear a safety seat belt. Originally, the law was secondary, which means that a police officer had to have already stopped a person for another violation before they could give them a ticket for not abiding bySouth Carolina seat belt law the seat belt law. However, as of 2005, the seat belt law became a primary enforcement, which means that a police officer can pull a person over if anyone in the vehicle does not appear be wearing a seat belt. A person can be fined up to $25 for violating the law and up to $50 for violating the legislation more than once. It is also important to note that the driver is responsible for requiring every passenger of the vehicle who is 17 years of age or younger, who does not have a license, to wear a seat belt. Therefore, if you may be wearing a seat belt and your child is not, you will get fined because your child's safety is your responsibility.

  • How do I report a DUI in South Carolina?

    While you may be hesitant to report a DUI because you are not positive report drunk driving in SCthat is driving under the influence, it is better to be safe than sorry. By reporting a driver, you could be potentially saving a life, considering the fact that many DUI accidents end in either the death of the driver or the death of an innocent citizen. If you do notice that someone is driving erratically, such as swerving or drifting to the side of the road, make sure that you keep your distance from the driver. You do not want to risk getting yourself into an accident while trying to prevent one. From a distance, try to find out the make, model, color, plate number, and plate state of the car. Before notifying the police, you should also make sure you know where you are and where you think the DUI vehicle is going so that you can accurately report the vehicle. Then, call 911 and report the driver, making sure that you give them all of the details that you noticed about the vehicle. Your local South Carolina police department will then hopefully be able to get that driver off of the road and possibly prevent an accident because of your assistance.

  • I received documents from the insurance adjuster. Do I fill these documents out and send them back to the insurance adjuster?

    Do NOT sign any documents from the insurance adjuster without letting an attorney review them first. A personal injury attorney who is experienced with accident cases and dealing with adjusters is best suited to handling these documents. They can ensure that your rights are protected and that you will get the compensation that you deserve.

    Click here to view a sample of some of the documents that you may receive from an insurance adjuster that you should not sign without speaking to an attorney first.

  • Can I speak with the insurance adjuster about my South Carolina property damage?

    Yes. When we initially accept your case, we send a letter to both your insurance company and the insurance company of the at-fault driver letting them know that while it is okay to speak with you directly about your property  damage, it is not okay to discuss your injuries or any facts about the accident. So, if you are contacted by an insurance company adjuster about your property damage, it is okay to speak with them. However, do not give a recorded statement or sign any forms without speaking with us first.

Live Chat