Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 1-888-690-0211
Phone: (843) 277-6061
Shelly Leeke Law Firm, LLC

Your Legal Questions Answered.

Answering Your Questions. Protecting Your Legal Rights.

If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident, you probably have many questions. Below are the answers to many questions faced by accident victims in South Carolina. If you do not see the answer to your question, just call our office or email Shelly directly - [email protected].

Research Your Case. Expand Your Knowledge.

  • Page 6
  • What is a Personal Injury?

    A personal injury is an injury to the body, mind or emotions. You may have a personal injury and not have a personal injury case. An actionable personal injury case can only come about when the injury has been caused by the negligence of another.

    For a detailed explanation of personal injury, read the full article.

    For personal injury claim examples, click here.

  • I just received a medical authorization form in the mail form the insurance company. What should I do?

    If you sign a medical authorization for the insurance company, you are granting them full access to all of your medical history and personal information. You should never sign a health authorization for the insurance company until you have first spoken with a qualified personal injury about your case. We will be happy to discuss your options if you have been involved in an auto accident and have questions about your case, For Free, Call 843-277-6061, or email us by clicking here. 

  • Will I be reimbursed for the prescription medications I paid for medications I was prescribed for my injuries?

    Yes, You are entitled to reimbursement for the amount you paid for prescription medications, as long as they were prescribed by your doctor as a result of the injuries you suffered in the accident.The amount you paid will be included in the total settlement you receive. It is important that you keep receipts for all of your out of pocket expenses and give them to your attorney so that he/she may include this amount when negotiating your settlement.

  • If I accept the insurance adjuster's settlement offer, will the insurance company still pay my medical bills?

    No. Once you accept an offer from the at fault party's insurance company, your case will be over. When the insurance company settles with you, all claims that you have against the other driver and the insurance company will be released. You will be responsible for all bills that are outstanding once you accept an offer and settle with the insurance company.

    Remember, adjusters work for hte insurance company. This means that their primary interest is in saving the insurance company money. Their settlement offer may or may not be a reasonable offer, but keep in mind that their goal is to settle with injured parties for as little as possible. Our firm will review any settlement offer you have. Contact our office for details.

  • What is the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit for an accident in South Carolina?

    Generally, you will have three years to file a lawsuit in South Carolina for a personal injury action (car accident, pedestrian accident, wrongful death, dog bite, etc.) However, there are certain cases where the statute of limitations is less than three years, so it is very important that neither you nor your lawyer wait until the last hour to address the issue of whether or not to file a lawsuit for your case.

    In my office, we will not accept a case that is closing in on the statute of limitations. It is very important to start preparing for a possible lawsuit early on in order to ensure that all evidence is gathered and preserved in the event that a settlement cannot be reached and filing a lawsuit is necessary.

    If you have an accident or injury question you need answered, click here and type FAQ along with your question. We will answer your question online AND email you the answer! If you need to speak with a qualified personal injury attorney just call our office at 843-277-6061 to schedule a FREE case evaluation.

  • Should I go to the doctor even if I just have neck and back soreness from my accident?

    Even if you think that you are not injured or that your backache or sore neck is minor, you need to keep in mind that many times a seemingly minor injury or soreness can turn out to be a severe injury weeks or even months down the road. If your injury does not seem all that bad at first, it is always better to be cautious and have yourself checked out by a doctor and consult with an attorney. If you decide not to immediately go to the doctor, you should monitor yourself and immediately go to the doctor if your pain worsens. You should NEVER settle your case immediately after the accident or if you have pain from the accident. You should consult with an attorney before deciding to settle on your own. The South Carolina accident lawyers at the Shelly Leeke Law Firm provide free complimentary case evaluations.

  • Who will pay for my medical bills from the car accident?

    Your accident-related medical bills should be paid from any settlement recovery you receive when your South Carolina accident case settles. Therefore, you should submit your bills to your own health insurance company so that the bills do not go in to collections. If you do not have health insurance, you will need to make payments on the medical bills until the bills are paid from the injury settlement. You should also contact your car insurance company and ask if you have medical payments or Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. If you do, then you should submit the bills to your car insurance company. You do not want your medical bills going to collections! Your Charleston motor vehicle accident lawyer will help you figure out a payment plan with your medical provider that best suits your financial situation.

  • What should I do in the weeks and months following the accident?

    Be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions and keep all medical appointments. Take pictures of your car and your injuries. You may what should i do after my car accidentsettle and release your property damage claim with the other person’s car insurance company. However, make sure you carefully read the release. You should not sign a full release, so it is better to have the release reviewed by an attorney first. This may seem confusing, so it is best to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney, who will help you through the personal injury legal process. To speak with a South Carolina car accident lawyer today, call Shelly Leeke Law Firm at 1-888-690-0211 to set up a free consultation appointment!

  • Will you still take my case even though I do not live close to your office?

    Shelly Leeke represents accident victims throughout South Carolina. If we accept your case, we will make sure your case is handled efficiently and that your rights are protected, no matter where you live. 

  • The insurance adjuster is calling me about my South Carolina accident- should I speak with the adjuster?

    After you have been involved in a South Carolina car accident, the adjuster for the other driver’s insurance company will most likely try calling you. They will ask for a recorded statement and if you have been injured, they will want to talk in depthwhat do i do if i am contacted by an insurance adjustor about your injuries. While it is usually alright if you speak with an adjuster about your vehicle and property damage, you should not discuss your injuries with an adjuster until you have spoken with an attorney.  

    It is important to remember that the insurance company is NOT your friend. Auto accident attorneys handle personal injury cases daily, and are used to the tactics used by insurance adjusters to devalue your wreck case. It is always best to speak with an attorney before you talk to an adjuster about your injuries. Shelly Leeke Law Firm provides free complimentary case evaluations. If you have been involved in an accident in Berkeley, Dorchester, Charleston or anywhere else in South Carolina, we can help. Contact us today at 1-888-690-0211.

Live Chat