Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 1-888-690-0211
Phone: (843) 277-6061
Shelly Leeke Law Firm, LLC

What can I do if I think that a debt collector did something that is against the law?

Within a year from the date of the violation, you can sue a collector in state or federal court. If you win your case, the collector can be required to compensate you for any costs of damages associated with their illegal collection practices, which can also include attorney's fees and court costs. If more than one person has been harassed by the collector, then they can form a group of people to file a class action lawsuit who can recover money for damages up to $500,000 (or 1% of the collector's net worth, whichever is less). It is important to remember that even though the debt collector violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you still will owe the debt.

If you need the help on attorney to stop debt collection harassment, contact the Shelly Leeke Law Firm today at 843-277-6061.
Shelly Leeke
South Carolina Injury Lawyer

Live Chat