In the terrifying and critical moments just after a South Carolina truck accident, the last thing likely going through your mind is your need to get in touch with a personal injury lawyer in Summerville, South Carolina, to discuss the possibility of a truck accident claim. But as preemptive as it may seem, taking quick action after a crash can make an impact on your physical recovery, as well as your financial recovery.
When You Are Still at the Crash Scene
If events were to transpire in such a way that you are able to get your bearings after a South Carolina truck accident, put a call out to 911 immediately. The chances of a truck accident resulting in minimal damages are slim to none, so you'll need to get emergency services on hand quickly to secure the scene and provide medical care to injured victims.
Listed below are 6 other tips on how to behave at the crash scene:
- remain at the scene of the accident until released by the police;
- take pictures of the accident scene, if it is safe to do so;
- write down as much information about the truck involved as possible;
- gather witness names and contact information;
- accept medical care, even if you think you're OK; and
- watch your words (don't apologize, speculate or make accusations).
If your injuries prevented you from being able to take the desired actions after a South Carolina truck accident, don't assume the worst about your potential claim. With the help of a personal injury attorney in Summerville, South Carolina, who understands the truck accident claims process you can take steps to start protecting your case now.
Watch Your Actions in the Coming Weeks and Months
Your attorney can help you to establish good habits to help protect your truck accident claim in the coming days, weeks and months. Basic pointers to keep in mind include:
- keep records of your accident-related costs, such as medical bills and lost wages;
- keep all of your doctor's appointments and follow your doctor's instructions diligently;
- forgo any activity on social media networks in order to prevent posting any evidence that might harm your claim; and
- let your lawyer handle the conversations with insurance adjusters for both your insurer and that of the truck driver involved in the crash.
Truck accident claims are more complex than even the standard auto accident claim in South Carolina. Trucking companies are often allowed to destroy important evidence related to the accident within weeks of the incident. With an attorney on your side from the start, you have better odds at obtaining vital records before they get sent through the shredder.
Seeking the Help of a Personal Injury Lawyer in Summerville, South Carolina
The South Carolina personal injury attorney team at the Shelly Leeke Law Firm is available to help accident victims cope with the legal implications of a serious injury. Our firm's focus on personal injury cases includes injury from auto accidents including pedestrian and bicycle injuries, work-related injuries and Workers' Compensation claims, and injuries resulting from dangerous prescription drugs.
Before you file a South Carolina personal injury claim, request a free copy of our South Carolina injury book. When you're ready to get started on settling your accident claim, contact a Summerville personal injury attorney for a free information packet and consultation, 1-888-690-0211.