South Carolina Driving Facts
- The average South Carolinian spends $756.11 a year on car insurance. The average in the US is $817.11.
- There are roughly 3.3 million licensed drivers in South Carolina and over 3.7 million registered automobiles.
- In 2005, South Carolina and Mississippi tied for 3rd place for the highest motor vehicle death rate in the nation.
- South Carolina drivers had 112,930 traffic accidents in 2006. Property damages to vehicles totaled almost $2.7 billion.
- 917 people died in 2008 in South Carolina in car wrecks, compared to 1,077 fatalities in 2007 and 1,044 in 2006.
- In 2006, 12.7% of all drivers involved in accidents and 9.4% of drivers in fatal collisions were teens. However, only 6.7% of South Carolina drivers were teens.
- In 2005 claims accounted for $68 of every $100 earned in private passenger auto insurance premiums in the United States.
- 39% of South Carolinians injured in crashes hire an attorney to represent them.
Sources: National Association of Insurance Commissioners ; SC Department of Public Safety; Property Casualty Insurers Association of America; Insurance Information Institute; Insurance Research Council
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration; USA Today
If you need a Charleston personal injury lawyer, contact Shelly Leeke Law Firm today at 843-277-6061!