Children are especially susceptible to accidents and injuries from automobiles, animals, playground equipment, electrical outlets, defective toys and other products. Charleston Child Injury Lawyer Shelly Leeke and the team of Charleston Accident Lawyers at the Shelly Leeke Law Firm are dedicated to protecting the rights of children and their families.
*This video is not an endorsement by Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America and is intended for informational purposes only.
Children & Accidents- Statistics:
The following represents children and minors accident statistics for the United States according to the National Highway Traffic Association and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
- Automobile Accidents: From 2000-2005, motor vehicle accidents resulted in the highest death rate among children, according to The Centers for Disease Control.
- Motor vehicle crashes are the number one killer of children. Children ages 4 - 8 who use booster seats and safety belts are 59 percent less likely to be injured in a car crash than children who are restrained only by a safety belt.
- The misusage rate of child restraints in South Carolina is alarming: more than 95 percent of children are improperly restrained, according to the South Carolina Department of Transportation. The single most important thing you can do to protect your children is to buckle them up properly, every trip, every time. Make sure your child is safely secured in their car seat, or wearing his/her seat belt. Children ages twelve (12) and under should always ride in the back seat of the vehicle.
- Bicycle Accidents: Other than cars, bikes result in more childhood injuries than any other product. At least 100 children suffer fatal injuries involving a bike every year. Nearly 270,000 minors are treated in emergency rooms annually.
- School Bus Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents: Young children are the most vulnerable for pedestrian accident related injuries. More than one half of all pedestrian fatalities involve a child.
- Dog and Animal Attacks: Children are most likely to suffer severe and permanent injuries if attacked by a dog or other vicious animal.
If your child one has been injured by an accident involving a car, truck, bicycle, defective product, animal attack or pedestrian accident, the Charleston Child Injury Lawyers at the Shelly Leeke Law Firm can help. Call 843-277-6061 or toll free, 1-888-690-0211 today to make an appointment for a complimentary case evaluation. The Shelly Leeke Law Firm strives to protect the rights of small children, minors and their families in Charleston and throughout the State of South Carolina. Contact our team of Charleston Child Injury Attorneys today.