Your key goal-at least when it comes to your words-after an auto accident in North Charleston, South Carolina, is to protect your potential accident claim. This means you need to avoid saying anything that can discredit you as a plaintiff, witness and/or injured victim.
Your North Charleston, SC, injury lawyer is your best bet when it comes to formulating an approach to your personal injury claim, but he or she is not always going to be directly by your side. It is up to you to keep their advice at the forefront of your mind. Ask your attorney for a detailed list of the types of phrases that could damage your claim and how to approach your communication with everyone from your doctor to the insurance adjusters to your own employer.
For a general idea of some of the most potentially damaging things you could say after an accident in North Charleston, South Carolina, please keep these 5 phrases in mind. They are some of the more destructive things you could say:
- “I have no idea how the accident happened.” – This may seem harmless, but in fact, it may imply that you weren’t paying attention to your surroundings while you were driving.
- “I don’t need medical care.” – If you dismiss medical responders at the scene of an accident, it may lead the insurance company to question whether you were truly injured.
- “I’m sorry.” – Don’t apologize at the scene of the auto accident and don’t apologize in subsequent conversations with insurance adjusters. This is perceived as an admission of liability.
- “It’s all his/her/their/your fault.” – Avoid playing the blame game and let your attorney handle any assertions of liability.
- “You’re right. I probably don’t need an attorney.” – The insurer may try to tell you that you don’t need a lawyer, even if your injuries were severe. This is simply not their decision to make and you owe it to yourself to get a second opinion.
Your legal team will give you more specific details about what you should and should not do and say after you have suffered injury in an accident.
Seeking the Help of a North Charleston, SC, Injury Lawyer
The South Carolina personal injury attorney team at the Shelly Leeke Law Firm is available to help accident victims cope with the legal implications of a serious injury. Our firm’s focus on personal injury cases includes injury from auto accidents including pedestrian and bicycle injuries, work-related injuries and Workers’ Compensation claims, and injuries resulting from dangerous prescription drugs.
Before you file a South Carolina personal injury claim, request a free copy of our South Carolina injury book. When you’re ready to get started on settling your accident claim, contact a North Charleston personal injury attorney for a free information packet and consultation, 1-888-690-0211.