Goose Creek, S.C. – A man was struck by a car and killed near Goose Creek High School while crossing Redbank Road. The accident occurred soon after 7 p.m. Dec. 8.
Marco Recinos, age 40, was transported by helicopter to MUSC where he later died from massive head trauma.
Shelly Leeke Law Firm sends our condolences to those affected by this terrible tragedy. If you have experienced the loss of a loved one in a pedestrian accident, it is best to consult with a lawyer to make sure that your rights are protected. Shelly Leeke Law Firm offers free consultation appointments that can be scheduled by calling 843.277.6061 today.
Pedestrian accidents are on the rise in South Carolina. The most recent data released by the National Highway Traffic Administration shows in 2010, 4,280 pedestrians were killed and approximately 70,000 injured in traffic accidents across the United States (an increase from 2009).
What is a pedestrian? Any individual on foot; walking, running, jogging, hiking, sitting or lying down along a road or in a developed area.
Most accidents occur:
- 73% urban setting
- 79% non-intersection
- 79% normal weather
- 48% Friday – Sunday
Be a safe pedestrian:
- Use pedestrian crossings at all times.
- Never assume an approaching motor vehicle can see you, or will stop for you. Wait until all vehicles have come to a stop before crossing.
- At intersections, check for turning vehicles before leaving the curb, and while crossing the road.
- Avoid crossing between parked or stopped cars.
- Wear bright, light colored clothing at night or in reduced visibility conditions.
- Avoid using a mobile phone or portable media player (so you can hear vehicles and can concentrate on crossing the road).