Any Summerville auto accident that results in serious, life-altering injuries is likely to benefit from the assistance of a personal injury lawyer in Summerville, South Carolina. This may be even truer in accidents that involve a large commercial truck, such as a semi- or a tractor-trailer.
Not only does a truck’s size typically mean a greater chance for severe injury, but the claims process for a South Carolina truck accident is much more involved than for an accident involving passenger vehicles. Trucking companies and truck drivers have to adhere to a strict set of federal safety mandates, but they also often have the legal right to destroy critical evidence related to the accident, sometimes in a matter of just weeks!
With that in mind, here are 5 steps that you can take after a truck accident to protect your rights:
- Keep records of your injuries – This can include a pain journal and medical bills.
- Do as your doctor says – Keep all of your appointments and follow your doctor’s orders.
- Provide evidence to your lawyer quickly – Your injury attorney needs to be able to access critical documents before they are destroyed, so be sure to do your part in getting any required documents or evidence to your legal team in a timely manner.
- Watch your words – Don’t discuss the South Carolina truck accident with anyone except as instructed by your attorney.
- Let your attorney handle the communication with insurers – Your attorney can instruct you in what is and is not appropriate to discuss with an adjuster.
After a truck accident, remember that you have legal options to protect your rights and your future health. Having an attorney on your side will allow you to focus on recovery and moving on with your life.
Seeking the Help of a Personal Injury Lawyer in Summerville, South Carolina
The South Carolina personal injury attorney team at the Shelly Leeke Law Firm is available to help accident victims cope with the legal implications of a serious injury. Our firm’s focus on personal injury cases includes injury from auto accidents including pedestrian and bicycle injuries, work-related injuries and Workers’ Compensation claims, and injuries resulting from dangerous prescription drugs.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-844-736-8342
Before you file a South Carolina personal injury claim, request a free copy of our South Carolina injury book. When you’re ready to get started on settling your accident claim, contact a Summerville personal injury attorney for a free information packet and consultation, 1-888-690-0211.