Are you having trouble coping with the fallout of your motorcycle crash? Are your injuries having a significant impact on your life? Is the financial toll too much to bear? You may be able to take action against those responsible for causing your injuries when you get help from an experienced Forest Acres motorcycle accident lawyer at Shelly Leeke Law Firm.
The legal guidance of a Forest Acres personal injury attorney may be just what you need to explore your options for justice. When you are ready to fight for the compensation you are owed but do not know where to get started, be sure to contact our law offices for a free, no-obligation consultation.
A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Forest Acres, SC Is a Valuable Asset to Your Case
There is no legal requirement that states you must have a motorcycle accident attorney working on your case. However, a reputable legal advocate could make all the difference in your ability to get through these difficult times and escape financial ruin.
After being involved in a motorcycle crash, your entire life could be changed. The expenses associated with your injuries and the accident are likely to be extensive. Furthermore, your injuries and emotional distress may keep you out of work and impact your ability to take care of yourself and your family.
During this time, you should not have to worry about complex legal matters or wonder whether you are making a mistake that could impact your legal opportunities for justice. Thankfully, when you enlist the services of a dedicated car accident lawyer at Shelly Leeke Law Firm, you can rest easier and recuperate while we handle the legal details, some of which may include:
- Obtaining copies of crash reports
- Interviewing witnesses to the motorcycle wreck
- Hiring accident reconstructionists to recreate the accident
- Obtaining black box data from involved vehicles
- Identifying those responsible for causing the accident
- Quantifying non-economic damages and determining the value of your claim
- Preparing insurance claims and court filing documents
- Negotiating with the insurance company and renegotiating settlement offers
- Bringing your motorcycle accident case to trial when necessary
Top Causes and Liability in Forest Acres Motorcycle Crashes
Since South Carolina follows fault tort laws, figuring out the cause of the motorcycle accident is essential so we can determine who should be held accountable. Some of the top causes of Forest Acres motorcycle accidents include:
- Failure to check blind spots
- Large potholes
- Driving over the speed limit
- Failure to use a turn signal
- Defective or faulty motorcycle or motor vehicle parts
- Making unlawful turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Fatigued driving
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield or stop
- Unsecured road construction work
- Failure to make necessary road safety repairs
- Tire blowouts
- Dangerous weather conditions
Individuals and Entities that Could Be At-Fault
In instances where any type of unsafe or negligent driving caused your motorcycle crash, the driver who hit you may be held accountable. However, other parties could share the blame as well. For instance, if a drunk driver hits you, South Carolina dram shop actions under S.C. Code Ann. § 61-4-580 may allow you to file a claim against negligent dram shops and dram shop employees.
Alternatively, if auto parts on the motorcycle or other involved vehicles failed, were defective, or were found to be malfunctioning, several parties may be investigated for culpability, such as:
- Motor vehicle dealerships
- Safety inspectors
- Maintenance technicians
Suing the Government
There is also a chance that hazardous conditions on highways, major intersections, and back roads could have caused your motorcycle accident. If this is the case, government agencies and entities tasked with road maintenance and safety could be responsible. Some of these parties could include:
- The South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT)
- Forest Acres municipality
- Government contractors
- Government road construction workers
- Government safety inspectors
- Government subcontractors
- Other third parties
Be Prepared to Discuss Your Damages in Detail
If you hope to maximize the amount of compensation you recover in your Forest Acres motorcycle accident case, it is essential that you be prepared to discuss your damages in detail. Certain types of damages, commonly referred to as non-economic damages, do not have a monetary value. To ensure you receive fair compensation for them, your Forest Acres motorcycle accident attorney must quantify them based on the impact they have had or are expected to continue to have on your life.
Some examples of recoverable non-economic damages for motorcycle accident victims include:
- Reduced quality of life
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Physical pain and suffering
- Disfigurement from road rash
- Professional and personal reputational damage
- Permanent disability
- Skin scars from full-thickness burn injuries
However, you are not only entitled to compensation for non-economic losses. Economic damages are substantially impactful and could destroy your family financially. Some examples of economic damages you could recoup in your motorcycle accident claim include:
- Costs of purchasing a new motorcycle
- Motorcycle repair expenses
- Prescription drug costs and copays
- Loss of income and employee benefits
- Medical treatment and future care
- Home accommodation costs
- Loss of household services
Economic damages are easier to prove because they have fixed monetary values. By gathering financial statements, bank records, repair quotes, receipts, and other physical evidence, we can easily prove the value of your economic losses. However, we need to carefully discuss your non-economic damages so we can discuss the reality of the value of these non-financial losses.
Speak with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Forest Acres, SC Today
Your motorcycle accident injuries do not need to define your life. Although you may be struggling financially, emotionally, physically, and psychologically, the liable party can be compelled to compensate you for every loss.
This will not make up for the trauma you have experienced but ensure you have access to the funds you need to make the most of your life. You can schedule a 100% free consultation with a dedicated Forest Acres motorcycle accident lawyer at Shelly Leeke Law Firm as soon as today by calling our office or completing our online contact form.