When you or someone you love suffers debilitating injuries after a collision with a tractor-trailer, you may feel scared and confused. It is not uncommon for victims to be unsure of what the next steps should be.
Fortunately, when you contact an experienced Columbia truck accident attorney at Shelly Leeke Law Firm, you can get the legal guidance and support you need when you need it most. Contact our team for a free consultation today and learn more about how much your case could be worse and who they can sue for your damages.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Columbia
Your truck accident lawyer in Columbia, SC, will need to figure out who is responsible for causing your injuries if you hope to be awarded the compensation you are entitled to. Examining how the collision occurred will point your attorney toward the at-fault party.
For instance, truck drivers’ negligence causes truck accidents. This might include:
- Drunk driving
- Impaired driving
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Failure to stop or yield
- Aggressive driving
- Reckless driving
However, truck driver negligence is not the only cause of commercial truck accidents in Columbia. Some other common ways in which these accidents occur include:
- Poor road conditions, such as lack of street signs or traffic lights, lack of street lamps, unsecured road construction zones, and potholes
- Defective truck parts, including issues with the braking systems, power steering, tires, airbag inflators, fuel tanks, and other malfunctioning parts
- Poor weather conditions and failure to operate a vehicle safely in Inclement weather
- Failure to properly secure the cargo 18-wheeler trucks carry
These are only a few of the more common ways in which these collisions occur. If you are unsure how your commercial truck accident happened or who could be responsible, the best way to find out is by contacting our truck accident attorneys, who can then conduct a thorough investigation into your case.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Columbia, call 1-844-736-8342
Who to Sue for Your Columbia Truck Accident Damages
Figuring out who to sue for your damages is one of the top responsibilities your truck accident attorney in Columbia, SC, will take on. There is a multitude of parties to sue, depending on the specific circumstances of your case.
For example, in the event a negligent truck driver is responsible for causing your accident, not only could you sue that truck driver, but you may also have grounds for legal action against the trucking company that employs the truck driver.
These trucking companies must thoroughly review employee applications and conduct background checks before hiring truckers. When they shirk these responsibilities or force truckers to violate Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) work-hour rules and regulations, these companies can be held accountable in order to cover the victim’s damages in full.
Other Liable Parties
However, negligent truck drivers and trucking companies are just some of the parties who could share fault. Some of the other parties who could be named in your insurance and civil claims include:
- Cargo loaders
- Government agencies
- Dram shops
- Social hosts
- Truck maintenance technicians
- Truck safety inspectors
- Motor vehicle dealerships
- Truck parts manufacturers and distributors
A thorough analysis of the cause of your truck accident will uncover who should be sued for your damages. You can be sure your attorney will thoroughly investigate to ensure all potentially liable parties are held accountable accordingly.
Columbia Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 1-844-736-8342
How Truck Accident Claims Work in Columbia
Our truck accident lawyers are here to help you maximize the amount of compensation you are awarded. The amount that you can expect to be paid for your damages will vary widely depending on several factors, some of which include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The various ways your life has been affected by the truck accident and your subsequent injuries
- Whether the liable party has insurance coverage, and if so, how much coverage they purchased
Generally, once you hire an attorney to take on your case, you can expect your lawyer to handle everything from start to finish. This might include:
- Investigating how the accident occurred
- Gathering powerful evidence to prove liability in your case
- Speaking with potential witnesses and experts
- Negotiating with insurance companies
- Bringing your case to trial if the defendant’s insurance coverage does not suffice
You should always be able to cover all of your costs when someone else is to blame. Our firm is here to walk you through the claims process step-by-step so you can feel confident in your decision to fight for justice.
Important Laws Impacting Your Columbia Truck Accident Settlement
There are multiple laws in place that could have an impact on the outcome of your truck accident claim. If you are going to go up against the liable party, it is important to consider the various ways your life could be affected.
Here are some of the most notable South Carolina personal injury laws that could have an impact on the outcome of your case
- South Carolina is a fault state for auto accidents, which means you will file a claim with the liable party’s auto insurance provider instead of filing a claim with your own. However, if you purchased no-fault insurance coverage, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company as well.
- The statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits in South Carolina is three years. If your lawsuit is filed before time runs out, you will retain your right to compensation via a civil claim against the liable party.
- If you are partially responsible for causing your injuries, you will not be prevented from recovering compensation for your damages at trial since South Carolina is a modified comparative negligence state with a 51% threshold. Your injury settlement will be reduced to account for your portion of liability.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact a Columbia Truck Accident Lawyer for Help Today
Although this may be an overwhelming time in your life, when you have a reputable Columbia truck accident attorney at Shelly Leeke Law Firm on your side, you can breathe easier. Our team is here to help you recover maximum compensation for your damages while you recuperate from your injuries.
Contact us for a free consultation today and learn more about what is next for your case. You can fill out our quick contact form or call us to get started as soon as today.