Facts About Brain Injuries
According to the latest statistics from teh North American Brain Injury Society:
- Each year, one million people in the United States are treated in emergency rooms as a result of traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Of every different type of injury, brain injuries are the most likely to result in death or permanent disability.
- Worldwide, brain injury is the leading cause of death and disability.
- Of all types of injury, those to the brain are among the most likely to result in death or permanent disability
- Of those people, 230,000 are hospitalized and survive,
- 80,000 are discharged with a TBI-related disability
- 50,000 die
Research indicates males are more likely to encounter a TBI as females.
The highest risk age group is between 15 and 24 years of age. Children under 5 and elderly persons over 75 are also at a higher risk.