After being injured in a South Carolina accident, a South Carolina personal injury attorney can help you with the process of filing your South Carolina personal injury claim, including estimating what damages to ask for.
The value of any injury claim will be specific to that claim. That’s because each injury claim involves unique circumstances such as the injuries sustained, who is at fault, the insurance policy limits involved, and the long-term effects of the injuries themselves.
Since insurance companies make it their business to reduce or deny injury claim compensation as much as possible, you and your South Carolina truck accident lawyer will need to work together to protect the integrity of your claim and fight for fair compensation.
That being said, there are things you can do to help protect the value of your South Carolina personal injury claim, including:
- don’t discuss the details of your accident with anyone other than your doctor and attorney;
- seek immediate medical attention after your accident;
- collect all evidence that is necessary to your case such as contact information for witnesses, police reports and medical records;
- take photographs of the accident scene and your property damage;
- don’t sign a medical records release for the insurance company until you speak with your lawyer;
- when talking with an insurance adjuster discuss only the basic facts of your accident;
- never agree to settle your case or sign any documentation from the insurance company before you show it to your attorney;
- keep documentation of all of your economic and non-economic damages;
- keep a pain journal detailing your injuries and recovery, including how your injuries affect you on a daily basis; and
- follow all of your doctor’s instructions and keep all medical appointments.
You can learn more about what goes into determining the value of your South Carolina personal injury claim by visiting our article library.
Seeking the Help of a South Carolina Personal Injury Attorney
The South Carolina personal injury attorney team at the Shelly Leeke Law Firm is available to help accident victims cope with the legal implications of a serious injury. Our firm’s focus on personal injury cases includes injury from auto accidents including pedestrian and bicycle injuries, work-related injuries and Workers’ Compensation claims, and injuries resulting from dangerous prescription drugs.
Before you file a South Carolina personal injury claim, request a free copy of our South Carolina injury book. When you’re ready to get started on settling your accident claim, contact a Summerville personal injury attorney for a free information packet and consultation, 1-888-690-0211.