Parking lots may seem like safe driving places, but accidents can happen. With many drivers and pedestrians sharing a relatively small space, parking lots can be dangerous, and accidents can result in serious injuries or property damage. If you have been involved in a parking lot accident in Charleston, South Carolina, you need the help of an experienced attorney.
Hit-and-run accidents can cause serious injuries, including broken bones, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, and even death. Victims of hit-and-run accidents need the help of an experienced attorney. A North Charleston hit-and-run accident attorney from Shelly Leeke Law Firm can help you understand the legal process and help you fight for the compensation you deserve. Our North Charleston personal injury lawyers are ready to help you take the first step in getting your life back.
Parking Lot Accidents Are a Serious Risk
Car accidents can happen anywhere, and parking lots are no exception. While parking lots may seem like a safe and controlled environment, accidents can happen. According to data from the National Safety Council, there are approximately 50,000 crashes in parking lots and garages annually. Parking lot accidents can cause serious injuries and property damage, and it is important to take steps to protect yourself and your rights.
Common Causes of Parking Lot Accidents
Parking lot accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, or otherwise distracted may not be paying attention to their surroundings and can easily cause an accident.
- Reckless driving: Drivers who are speeding, ignoring stop signs or yield signs, or otherwise driving recklessly can cause accidents in parking lots.
- Poorly designed parking lots: Parking lots that are poorly designed or maintained can make it difficult for drivers to navigate safely. This can include inadequate lighting, confusing signage, or narrow parking spaces.
- Pedestrian negligence: Pedestrians who are not paying attention or walking in areas where they should not be can cause accidents.
- Weather conditions: Inclement weather, such as rain or snow, can make parking lots slippery and increase the risk of accidents.
What to Do if You Are Involved in a Parking Lot Accident
In South Carolina, there are more than 4,000 parking lot accidents annually, according to the South Carolina Department of Public Safety. Below are a few things you should do to protect yourself and your rights:
- Call the police: If the accident involves injuries or significant property damage, you should call the police. The police will take a report of the accident, which can be important evidence if you need to file a claim or lawsuit.
- Exchange information: Get the contact information of the other driver, including their name, address, phone number, and insurance information. If there are any witnesses to the accident, get their contact information.
- Take photos: Take pictures of the damage to both vehicles and the surrounding area. This can be important evidence if you need to file a claim or lawsuit.
- Seek medical attention: If you or anyone involved in the accident is injured, seek medical attention immediately. Even if you don’t feel injured, it’s important to get checked out by a medical professional because some injuries may not be apparent immediately, and delaying medical attention can make it harder to prove that your injuries resulted from the accident.
- Contact a parking lot accident attorney: If you are involved in a parking lot accident, it’s important to contact a Charleston parking lot accident lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the legal process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
How a Parking Lot Accident Attorney Can Help
A Charleston parking lot accident attorney can provide valuable assistance to victims of parking lot accidents. An attorney can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault and gather evidence that can help establish liability. This may include reviewing police reports, interviewing witnesses, and gathering any other evidence that can help to establish liability.
Below is more information about ways that an attorney can help:
- Investigate the accident: A parking lot accident attorney in Charleston can investigate the accident to determine who was at fault. This may include reviewing police reports, interviewing witnesses, and gathering any other evidence that can help to establish liability.
- Communicate with insurance companies: Insurance companies can be difficult to work with, and an attorney can communicate with the other driver’s insurance company to negotiate a settlement for your damages. Insurance companies are often more willing to settle cases when an attorney is involved, and an attorney can ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- File a personal injury lawsuit: If the other driver’s insurance company is unwilling to offer a fair settlement, a parking lot accident lawyer in Charleston can file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf.
- Fight for your rights: An attorney can fight for your rights and ensure that you are treated fairly throughout the legal process. An attorney can also advise you on the best course of action to take and help you understand your legal rights and options.
- Provide guidance and support: Dealing with the aftermath of a parking lot accident can be stressful and overwhelming. An attorney can provide guidance and support throughout the legal process and answer any questions you may have.
When choosing a parking lot accident attorney in Charleston, it is important to choose an attorney with experience handling similar cases. Look for an attorney who has experience negotiating with insurance companies and filing personal injury lawsuits on behalf of clients. You should also look for an attorney who is responsive and will keep you updated on the progress of your case.
Contact Shelly Leeke Law Firm for a Charleston Parking Lot Accident Attorney
Parking lot accidents can be a frustrating and challenging experience, but with the help of an experienced Charleston parking lot accident attorney from Shelly Leeke Law Firm, you can protect your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve. By taking steps to protect yourself and your rights after a parking lot accident, you can ensure that you are treated fairly throughout the legal process. Contact us today.