South Carolina roads can be treacherous for motorists. The state has strict traffic laws in place to discourage drivers from behaviors that are hazardous to themselves and other travelers. Because of this, reckless driving is among the most serious traffic offenses.
If you or a loved one has been in an accident caused by a reckless driver, the results can seriously impact the future. A Walterboro reckless driving accident attorney from Shelly Leeke Law Firm is ready and waiting to help you navigate this complicated legal matter. Our skilled Walterboro personal injury lawyers are focused on getting you the compensation you deserve.
How Reckless Driving Is Defined
When the vehicle operator displays willful and wanton behavior that disregards the safety of others and property, the offense is considered a reckless driving charge. “Willful and wanton” describe a driver who is deliberately driving in a way that can cause intentional harm without provocation.
The S.C. Code of Laws, S.C. Code Ann. §56-5-2920, defines this behavior as reckless driving. Reckless driving is when bad judgment and destructive behavior meet. The consequences are steep when reckless driving causes accidents, injuries, and property damage.
What to Do at the Scene of a Walterboro Reckless Driving Accident
Following an accident, law enforcement will arrive on the scene. Once they determine who needs medical attention and see that it is being administered, they will ensure the roadway is safe for other drivers. Below are a few tips we suggest following an accident caused by a reckless driver:
- Call 911.
- Seek medical attention.
- Turn on your hazard lights.
- Stay clear of the roadway.
- Keep communication brief.
- Do not apologize or accept blame.
- Gather contact information for those involved in the accident and of witnesses.
- Photograph and video the scene of the accident.
- Record anything out of the ordinary.
- Politely and directly answer questions asked by law enforcement, and keep your answers brief.
- Do not speak to the other driver’s insurance company.
It is important that you let the scene of the accident do the talking for you. Things you say or do at the scene can give insurance companies reasons to deny claims you may file. It is best to let your Walterboro reckless driving accident lawyer speak for you.
Common Causes of Reckless Driving Accidents in Walterboro, SC
According to Forbes, South Carolina holds the number one position for speed-related deaths. Various behaviors can cause reckless driving accidents in the state. Some of the more common ones are listed below:
- Excessive speed
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- Distracted driving
- Peer pressure
- Road rage
Suppose you have been involved in an accident. In that case, a reckless driving accident attorney in Walterboro will analyze your case and help you prove that the reckless driver caused your injuries and property damage.
Injuries Sustained in Reckless Driving Accidents in Walterboro, SC
Injuries due to the actions of a reckless driver are all the more distasteful since they could have and should have been avoided. Some of the most common injuries we see in Walterboro accidents are as follows:
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries such as whiplash
- Shoulder injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Internal injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Disfiguring and scarring injuries
- Loss of limbs and amputations
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Knee damage
- Wrist and hand injuries
- Road rash and lacerations
- Soft tissue injuries
- Crush injuries
These are simply the physical injuries one may sustain in a reckless driving accident. But, there are other impacts that a reckless driving accident may have on a person’s wellness and well-being.
Harm Aside from Physical Injuries
Victims of accidents typically suffer property damage, loss, or damage to their vehicles and the car’s contents. There are also emotional damages that occur following a serious automobile accident. Anxiety disorders, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder can befall a person who has been in a traumatic accident.
Damages You May Seek if Involved in a Walterboro Reckless Driving Accident
Contacting a reckless driving accident lawyer in Walterboro is crucial following an automobile accident. They can help you determine the settlement package to which you are entitled. Until then, here is a list of damages that you may ask for if injured in a reckless driving accident:
- Past and future medical expenses add up quickly and include ambulance rides, emergency room visits, X-rays and tests, hospital stays, surgeries, procedures, medication, doctor visits, and follow-up care.
- Lost income compounds the problem of medical expenses. But, following an accident, victims cannot always return to work immediately.
- Loss of earning potential happens when a physical or mental injury causes a person not to be able to pursue the career path they were following at the time of the wreck.
- Loss of enjoyment of life occurs when one can no longer do the things that once brought them joy, such as participating in a sport or playing with their children.
- Loss of consortium applies to the injured person’s spouse when their life together no longer provides the companionship, support, and physical intimacy it once offered.
- Pain and suffering can impact every area of the injured person’s life.
- Property Damage may include the repair or replacement of your vehicle or the replacement of damaged contents. For instance, if the accident happened coming from work and you had a broken computer in the car, or if you were moving furniture and the furniture was damaged by the reckless driving accident.
Of course, the list of damages is long and could not be included in depth here, but the reckless driving accident attorneys in Walterboro can help you to assess your damages and ask for an amount that would generously compensate you.
Seek Legal Help Today
Reach out to Shelly Leeke Law Firm, the Walterboro reckless driving accident attorneys are ready to use all of the resources at their disposal to ensure you are awarded the most generous settlement package possible. We fight tenaciously for our clients so they have the financial compensation it takes to begin life again following the malicious actions of a reckless driver.