Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are some of the most utilized options for travel in Greenville, SC providing transportation to destinations throughout the city. But if you or a loved one is injured in an accident while using Uber or Lyft services, understanding how your claim is handled and who is responsible for the costs of your injuries can be challenging.
Make your first call count by reaching out to one of the Greenville car accident attorneys at Shelly Leeke Law Firm. From there, one of our Greenville personal injury lawyers, with the skill to help you navigate the legal system and receive fair compensation for your injuries, will take over, so you can focus on relaxing and recovering. Our understanding of the complex insurance and legal systems works in your favor.
Greenville Automobile Accidents
If you are traveling in Greenville County, you are more likely to be involved in an automobile accident than in any other county in South Carolina. In recent statistics, Greenville County, with Greeneville being the county seat, averaged 13,740 accidents annually.
Of those accidents occurring annually, Greenville County once again rated highest for fatalities in automobile collisions. Who is responsible if you or a family member is one of these victims?
Documenting the Accident
When you are in an accident while traveling in an Uber or Lyft service in Greenville, there is necessary documentation you need before leaving the scene of the accident. This information will ensure you can contact the individuals and the companies responsible for your claim.
- Police Report: Notes and observations of the reporting officer are included in this report and are used to compile an official crash report.
- Personal Information: Requesting the name, address, phone number, and insurance information from the parties involved, particularly the party responsible for the accident, enables you to make contact more easily. Requesting the name of the officer taking the report, badge number, and agency is beneficial.
- Witness Information: Personal information from any witnesses willing to speak on behalf of what they saw at the time of the accident is crucial to a case.
- Visual documentation: Take pictures of the vehicles involved in the accident. You are not seeking compensation for automobile damages, but the images can portray the level of severity to the insurance company.
Responsible Parties in Greenville Uber and Lyft Accidents
An Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Greenville understands that it is not always clear, particularly when a rideshare service is involved, who will be held liable for the accident. A dedicated attorney will act as your representative, making it easier for you to focus on healing instead of negotiating compensation.
The State of South Carolina
A fault-based system is in operation in South Carolina, which means the party responsible for the accident is liable for the damages a victim incurs from the accident. Additionally, the law states that more than one party may hold responsibility in an accident, and distribute liability according to fault, known as comparative negligence. A Greenville Uber and Lyft accident lawyer will have the best understanding of the laws as they apply specifically to your accident.
The Uber or Lyft Driver
The driver of your Uber or Lyft operates as an independent contractor meaning self-employed. This driver should carry automobile insurance. Unfortunately, most auto insurance carriers have a clause in their policies stating they hold no responsibility for liability claims of passengers if the vehicle operates as a business.
Many drivers performing rideshare services do not carry business insurance, so who is liable?
Uber and Lyft
Uber and Lyft’s online platform services carry liability insurance. If the driver’s insurance carrier denies the claim, then filing a claim with the platform’s insurance becomes necessary. The responsibility of proof of insufficient coverage by the driver falls on the victim.
As situations of insurance and liability become more complicated, it becomes essential to work with an Uber and Lyft accident lawyer in Greenville skilled in evidence collection to benefit your claim.
The Other Driver
If another vehicle is involved in the accident and found liable, the claim is filed with that driver’s insurance company. The importance of exchanging information is brought to light when the potential for confusion grows over liability.
Damages and Injuries
You are entitled to compensation for the damages and injuries incurred from the automobile accident. Situations of injury and stress can make it difficult to recall all the losses you have suffered. A claim cannot be modified once accepted, so enlisting the help of a reputable Greenville personal injury lawyer is your best option.
- Compensation for lost wages: After an accident, the victim may be unable to work for some time. Not only is there the loss of an hourly wage but the loss of possible earnings of any bonuses or other compensation.
- Crash-related medical expenses: Examples of these expenses are ambulance transportation, hospital stay, doctor visits, and possible therapies.
- Pain and suffering: Emotional distress and physical discomfort are considered damages incurred in an accident. Quantifying the value of these damages for the victim’s claim is necessary.
- Loss of enjoyment of life: The loss of enjoyment of life results from the pain and suffering from an automobile accident. The victim may no longer be able to participate fully in life due to the accident.
- Punitive damages: These damages are filed as punishment for the defendant when their actions prove negligent. An example is choosing to drive after becoming impaired by drugs or alcohol.
Suing the Uber or Lyft platforms is rarely an option. These platforms have worked diligently to distance the relationship between the companies and their drivers, stressing that drivers are self-employed and not employees of their company.
Enlisting the Help of a Greenville Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer
With the burden of responsibility becoming more difficult to prove when accidents occur involving rideshare platforms like Uber and Lyft, it is imperative to have the experience of Shelly Leeke Law Firm on your side. Providing support to automobile accident victims has been our focus for over a decade. We offer guidance for victims feeling overwhelmed, confused, and lost in the insurance industry.
We understand the laws as they apply to online rideshare platforms. Let us use our legal knowledge to help you claim the compensation you deserve.