As a parent, the worst nightmare you could face is that of your child being harmed. From birth until they are older, you watch over them to keep them safe. Yet, when they suffer injury, especially at the hands of someone’s negligence, you want to seek justice for them. With the help of a skilled St. Andrews child injury lawyer, you can do just that.
At Shelly Leeke Law Firm, we understand how upsetting it can be to deal with this situation. We are ready to discuss your situation with compassion and skill during a free initial consultation. A St. Andrews personal injury lawyer from our firm will help you make sense of the fear and uncertainty, managing your case so you can focus on helping your child recover. Contact us today to learn more.
How Children Can Be Hurt in St. Andrews, SC
From before they are born until they become adults, your children could face many dangers. Skinned knees and falls are just part of a child’s life, but when they suffer more serious injuries, you will be left with tremendous medical bills. Those who are at fault must be held accountable.
Your child injury lawyer in St. Andrews at Shelly Leeke has seen children harmed in instances such as:
- Automobile accidents: Small children who are not secured in their seats can be violently harmed in a car, truck, or bus crash.
- Bicycle accidents: Most kids enjoy riding a bike or skateboarding, but bad road conditions or unsafe terrain in a public park can lead to broken bones and other injuries due to a fall.
- Birth injuries: The time just before, during, and right after giving birth can be dangerous for parents and children. Healthcare providers must ensure both are monitored closely to identify signs of distress and imminent injury.
- Dog bites and animal attacks: Even a friendly neighbor’s dog can be triggered to bite in the right circumstances. Children are often unable to determine when an animal is dangerous, and a large dog can severely maim or kill a small child.
- Drowning: Infants and toddlers can easily drown in a bathtub if left unattended by a babysitter, and others may wander into pools, lakes, or ponds. In addition, even a good swimmer can be hurt if they are knocked unconscious or suffer exposure to a waterborne disease.
Other ways a child could be hurt is by domestic violence, fights or attacks at school, or reckless individuals in public. Regardless of who is liable for hurting your loved ones, you need a qualified and knowledgeable St. Andrews child injury attorney to investigate your case. We will ensure these wrongdoers are identified and pay the compensation your child is owed.
Here Is Why You Should Choose Shelly Leeke Law Firm
When your child is hurt, your world stops. You cannot think about work, much less face the paperwork and actions required to hold the person at fault responsible. You must concentrate on helping your child heal. A child injury attorney in St. Andrews can take on the burden of filing a claim for you.
At Shelly Leeke Law Firm, we offer an accomplished team of attorneys who will help you secure the financial relief your family needs. We will:
- Investigate the details of your child’s injury and how it happened.
- Identify anyone who is liable.
- Collect relevant evidence to uphold your claim of negligence and resulting damages.
- File an insurance claim, negotiating with insurance adjusters for a full settlement.
- Proceed to a personal injury lawsuit if an agreement cannot be reached.
- Fight for your child’s rights and best interests in court.
- Answer your questions and reduce your fear, worry, and stress throughout the process.
Potential Compensation in a St. Andrews Child Injury Case
Settlements and jury awards in child injury claims tend to be large when the child is young and severely harmed. Each case will be different, of course, and your St. Andrews child injury attorney will examine your situation to help you understand the value of your claim. When a child suffers debilitating or disabling harm, the liable party must provide enough compensation for the child to live a comfortable life.
In many cases, a child can recover and go on to lead the life they expected. However, if a child is severely harmed, they may never live independently. Their parents may need to leave their careers, and the victims will need care for the rest of their lives. In addition, the person at fault must provide relief for the non-economic pain and suffering your child will endure.
Your child may need surgery, perhaps multiple times, to correct the harm done to them. Your medical bills will be the largest part of your claim, especially if they include ER, ICU, or other specialized care. Children who suffer birth injuries related to a lack of oxygen (such as cerebral palsy) will typically need medical care for the rest of their lives.
They will also require special assistance with education, physical therapy, speech therapy, and other treatments to help them reach their potential.
Not only will your child risk being unable to succeed in their future as they may have hoped, but many parents must stop working to care for an injured child. Your attorney can help you calculate the loss of your income and earning potential. They will also determine how your child will be affected by an injury that changes their lifepath away from a job as a doctor, musician, or professional athlete.
Car crashes and animal attacks can severely traumatize a child for life. They may develop depression, phobias, and anxiety about similar situations. If this involves being able to ride in a car after an accident, they could be unable to work if they cannot drive. Counseling and therapy for these conditions should be included in your compensation demands, including projected costs for the future.
Loss of Enjoyment of Life
For younger children, losing weeks of their lives to recover from an injury is a significant blow. They may become isolated and depressed because they cannot play or see their friends. If they are older and are severely injured, they can contemplate how this will affect their future, with traumatizing results.
Their schoolwork and hobbies can suffer, and the road to recovery can seem overwhelmingly long. This psychological harm must also be accounted for in the damages your claim seeks.
Contact a St. Andrews Child Injury Lawyer Now
At Shelly Leeke Law Firm, you will work with a seasoned St. Andrews child injury lawyer who is dedicated to supporting your family as your loved one heals. We will connect you with resources that can aid your emotional and physical recovery as we work on securing the financial relief your child needs.
Our attorneys fight hard for your rights so you can move on with your lives. Contact us to schedule a free case evaluation using our online form today.