Slip and fall accidents are common in everyday places like grocery stores, parks, or malls. These injuries occur when the owner of the space doesn’t keep up with their property and doesn’t deal with hazards in a timely manner. A slip-and-fall case tends to be difficult because liability is sometimes hard to determine.
Due to the difficulty of these claims, having a Cayce slip and fall accident lawyer from Shelly Leeke Law Firm can create a smoother and more straightforward process. Get in touch with us today for help securing the damages you have lost and hold those responsible for your injuries accountable. A Cayce personal injury lawyer is standing by to help.
The Common Types of Slip and Fall Accidents
Even though a slip and fall may seem like a minor issue, they can be real hazards and cause serious injuries. Some serious slip-and-fall accidents can leave victims with permanent disabilities or life-threatening injuries. The most common causes of these injuries include the following:
- Slippery floors: If you are walking into a restaurant and find yourself slipping on a large spill that hasn’t been cleaned up, you will likely face injuries. It’s important to know your rights, no matter what substances are on a property’s floor, from a leaky pipe, rain, polish, or spills.
- Uneven surfaces: All businesses must keep their walkways and floors safe for visitors. If you enter a property with uneven bricks, broken tiles, or even holes in the floor, you must be careful because these hazards can lead to accidents.
- Messy spaces with poorly lit walkways: If a property doesn’t keep a neat and orderly appearance, some of these hazards could cause injuries. Additionally, if business owners have a messy space and not sufficient lighting, they are more likely to be liable for injuries to occur.
- Dangerous or unkept stairs: Falling down the stairs can happen anywhere. This is even more the case if a given stairwell isn’t handled. If stairs have loose stairs or broken stairs, serious injuries can occur.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident in Cayce
The steps you take after a slip and fall accident in Cayce will impact your overall claim. Here are some steps you should follow after getting injured on someone else’s property.
Seek Medical Attention
Speaking with a professional as soon as possible to assess your injuries helps your well-being and is the ground where your claim is built. Your injuries will be documented and can be used as proof for injuries and losses in a sip and fall claim.
At the scene, look around and ask yourself some questions. What caused the fall? Were there too many people in a small, cluttered space? Was there a spill that wasn’t taken care of? It’s best to take photos and videos of the scene and speak with any witnesses who saw the fall take place.
Make an Official Report
Each property will require you to file an accident report. You can make an accurate and detailed statement so it will be added to the file. This way, it can also be used when moving forward to file a claim.
Contact an Attorney as Soon as You Can
In any personal injury claim, a Cayce slip and fall accident attorney from Shelly Leeke Law Firm can benefit your claim considerably. Our team has years of experience in cases like these and knows how to handle tough negotiations. Call us to talk about the claims process and how we can help.
File Your Claim
With your slip and fall lawyer in Cayce’s assistance, you can file your claim and try to win back all you have lost. Whether it be medical bills, lost wages, or ongoing medical expenses, our team works hard to get you the most amount of compensation.
Proving Liability in Slip and Fall Claims
In a successful slip and fall claim, proving negligence is the most important thing. You must be able to prove that your accident and injuries stemmed from the property owners’ or manager’s negligence. The following must be looked at:
- Duty of care: All property owners owe their visitors a space to enjoy. This is often referred to as the duty of care. This means that spills must be cleaned, floors shouldn’t be broken, and lighting is appropriate.
- Breach in duty of care: If you entered a property and injuries were caused due to this breach in the property owner’s basic duty of care, you can hold them liable. For example, if you are walking through a store and the floor is very wet, causing you to fall and get hurt, with no signs in sign, the owner will be held liable.
- Causation: Causation is defined as the link between the at-fault parties’ negligence and the injuries sustained. There must be a link in what caused your injuries, and if this can be shown, then it’s easier to claim damages.
- Damages: If this accident caused injuries, no matter the severity, they must be documented. If you have documented injuries from someone’s lack of care, then they are likely the party who should be held responsible for your injuries.
The Types of Damages that Can Be Claimed from Slip and Fall Accidents
Receiving compensation from a slip and fall accident can range based on accident severity, who is held liable, and the injuries sustained. Usually, a personal injury settlement can be discussed by you and your slip and fall accident attorney in Cayce and brought to the other party. If the settlement is fair for both parties, it will be agreed upon, and your case will be closed.
However, you and your lawyer will proceed in court if the settlement isn’t accepted. No matter the direction your claim goes, there are two main categories of damages that one can collect.
These types of damages are known as the tangible losses you sustain in an accident. For example, anything that has a number value on it will be an economic loss. Economic damages include medical bills, lost wages, property damage, and ongoing medical care.
All intangible losses, with no set monetary value, are non-economic damages. These are things like pain and suffering, loss of consortium, mental anguish, emotional distress, or loss of quality of life.
Get Help Today with a Cayce Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Our skilled slip-and-fall accident attorneys in Cayce have extensive experience in personal injury law and can carefully craft the right strategy for your claim. Give us a call to schedule a free consultation. We can answer any questions you may have or get started on your claim.