You can slip and fall and suffer an injury on someone else’s property. When you do, you may be eligible to request damages to cover the costs of your injury. If you choose not to file a lawsuit, you risk missing out on compensation — and will be solely responsible for your injury costs, even if the slip and fall accident was not your fault.
At the Shelly Leeke Law Firm, we know all about the dangers associated with slip and fall accidents. If you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident in North Charleston, reach out today. Our North Charleston personal injury lawyer can review your claim and let you know if now is the right time to file a lawsuit.
Where Slip and Fall Accidents Happen in North Charleston
Ultimately, there is virtually no place where slip and fall accidents can be avoided. Some of the most common spots where slip and fall accidents happen include:
- In parking lots
- At malls
- At construction sites
- On sidewalks
- At supermarkets
If you suffer a personal injury due to a slip and fall accident in North Charleston, consult with an attorney. At this point, a North Charleston slip-and-fall accident lawyer can help you figure out what parties are responsible. If your injury was the result of someone else’s negligence, you can seek damages.
How You File a Slip and Fall Accident in North Charleston
Following a slip and fall accident, go to a doctor. Then, a doctor can evaluate your injury and determine its severity. Most importantly, you can take the first steps to treat your injury.
From here, seek out a slip-and-fall accident attorney in North Charleston. Once you do, your attorney will:
- Take a look at your slip and fall accident and all of the factors surrounding it.
- Ensure that all of the necessary paperwork is submitted to file your lawsuit.
- Work with you to build a case you can present in court.
Do not wait to find an attorney. Your lawyer will make sure your lawsuit is submitted in alignment with South Carolina’s statute of limitations. Otherwise, if you wait more than three years from the date you suffered your injury, you lose the opportunity to pursue damages.
How You Get Damages in a North Charleston Slip and Fall Accident Lawsuit
Damages are the compensation you can receive in a slip and fall accident lawsuit. There are three types of damages that a judge or jury can award:
- Economic: These are measurable and objective, and they can include the costs associated with your medical treatments and any wages you lose due to your injury.
- Non-Economic: These are subjective and include things like pain and suffering you experience as a result of your injury.
- Punitive: Punitive damages are awarded in instances where a judge or jury wants to deter an at-fault party from future acts of negligence.
The best slip-and-fall accident lawyer in North Charleston encourages their client to request the most damages possible. This lawyer likely has a great track record and has helped their clients secure millions of dollars in damages to date. The attorney works hard on your behalf in the hopes of helping you get the compensation you deserve.
What It Takes to Craft a Successful Argument in a North Charleston Slip and Fall Accident Case
Your attorney considers all of the facts relating to your case. In doing so, your lawyer can develop a fact-based legal strategy. This can help you deliver relevant information to a judge or jury, compelling them to rule in your favor. As your lawyer creates your legal strategy, they may look at a variety of factors, including:
- Where the slip and fall accident happened
- Why the accident happened
- Who may be responsible for the accident
- If any hazards were present on the property where the accident happened
Your lawyer will ask you lots of questions when developing your legal strategy. At the same time, your attorney encourages you to be upfront and honest about the facts of your case. This enables your lawyer to craft a legal strategy that allows you to put your best foot forward during your trial.
What to Expect Before Your North Charleston Slip and Fall Accident Trial Begins
There can be months or years between the date you file your lawsuit to the day your trial gets underway. During this period, your attorney gathers evidence and reviews it with you. Also, your lawyer looks for witnesses who may be able to testify on your behalf.
Along with these things, your lawyer will help you prepare for your trial date. To do so, your lawyer may:
- Share questions with you that the defendant’s attorney may ask you during your trial
- Provide details about the trial process
- Explain why you should expect to receive a final decision in your case
Do not hesitate to share any questions about your litigation with your attorney. This allows you to get plenty of insights leading up to your trial date. Then, when your trial begins, you can feel confident as you enter the final stage of your litigation.
How a North Charleston Slip and Fall Case Gets Decided
Unless you and a defendant agree to a personal injury settlement, your case will go to trial. When it does, a judge or jury will:
- Listen to testimony from you, the defendant, and each party’s respective witnesses
- Review evidence from both sides
- Hear a closing argument from each party’s attorney
A judge or jury will consider all of the information provided by both sides. Next, it will render a decision. If your case is successful, you will be awarded 100% of the damages you asked for in the first place.
Get in Touch with a North Charleston Slip and Fall Accident Attorney
The Shelly Leeke Law Firm offers legal help to slip-and-fall accident victims. Our North Charleston slip and fall accident lawyer is here to assist you. To get started, please contact us today.