If you have been struck by a truck driver in Myrtle Beach, you may have a long road to recovery. Overcoming the catastrophic injuries of a truck accident is tough, but worse, the person at fault for your injuries may not be the liable party for your injuries. Because of this, many people struggle to get compensated for their suffering, leaving them without the resources they need to get their lives back on track.
When you are hurt and suffering because someone else was careless, you may need a Myrtle Beach personal injury lawyer on your side. The team at Shelly Leeke Law Firm has the tools, resources, and guidance you need when you are filing a Myrtle Beach claim and need compensation. Our Myrtle Beach personal injury lawyers are here to help you through every step of your recovery.
Determining Liability for a Truck Accident in Myrtle Beach
Before you sue for a Myrtle Beach truck accident, you need to know who is at fault for your accident. Without an at-fault party, you do not have the information needed to file a claim. But who is liable for your truck accident?
That is a vital question when the driver who caused your accident may not be the one you sue. Below is just a sample of the possible parties that may be responsible for your injuries:
- Truck Drivers – When a truck driver is careless, they may have caused your accident; however, they may not be the ones financially liable for your damages. Typically, this liability falls to the trucking company.
- Other Drivers – In some cases, the truck driver may have followed all the rules, but another driver failed to do so. In these cases, you may have grounds for a lawsuit against the careless driver.
- Mechanics – When a mechanic fails to properly repair a vehicle, especially a commercial truck, you may have been one of the drivers injured when the commercial truck malfunctioned. This includes issues with the brakes and steering, among others.
- Manufacturers – Some Myrtle Beach truck accidents are not the fault of any driver. The fault may fall on the manufacturer who made, sold, or designed a defective part. If that defective part leads to an accident, you may have grounds to take action.
- Government Agencies – Large, dangerous potholes or other road defects can cause accidents, and they may be the fault of the government agency responsible for maintaining the roads. Because suing the government comes with its own laws, be sure to speak with your lawyer about your options.
If you have any doubts or questions about who is liable for your lawsuit, your truck accident lawyer in Myrtle Beach is always here to help. Your lawyer can use evidence from the scene to get the answers you need.
Damages for Myrtle Beach Truck Accidents
After an accident, you need compensation that covers the costs, suffering, and losses you have experienced because of the truck accident. These damages can be hard to calculate, however, if you do not have the right tools for it.
Unsure what damages you are due? Talk to a Myrtle Beach truck accident lawyer about the following damages and what your claim is worth.
After a Myrtle Beach truck accident, your expenses may start piling up right away. Truck accidents can be serious, even catastrophic, and getting your expenses covered is not easy.
That is where a Myrtle Beach truck accident lawyer can help you. Your lawyer can calculate the costs of your injuries and suffering, from the medical bills to the lost wages, to the future costs of your physical recovery. Your lawyer can add or estimate these damages and ensure you are not paying out of pocket for the costs of your accident.
After a Myrtle Beach truck accident, you may have suffered trauma and pain that impacts the quality of your life. However, these damages are more difficult to calculate because they are not as quantifiable. That means they do not have a dollar value attached to them.
For example, you may have suffered a broken leg. While your economic damages cover your medical bills, what is the pain and suffering you experienced worth?
If you are unsure what your pain and suffering, emotional trauma, and other non-economic damages are worth, talk to a lawyer. Your attorney has specialized tools that can help you get compensated for the experiences you have suffered through.
After a serious injury, you may find you were injured because someone else was grossly negligent, or that they intended to harm you. Driving a commercial truck under the influence may count as gross negligence. In these cases, you may have grounds for punitive damages.
These damages are not intended to compensate you for specific damages. They are instead meant to punish the wrongdoer and deter others from engaging in this dangerous behavior.
It can be difficult to retrieve this type of damage, as they are not commonly awarded. Your lawyer at Shelly Leeke Law Firm can aid you in getting these damages if you believe you are due them.
Talk with a Myrtle Beach Truck Accident Lawyer
At Shelly Leeke Law Firm, we know recovering from a commercial truck accident is not easy. We know you may be struggling to get compensated fairly for the costs and suffering you have experienced. That is why having a lawyer on your side is so vital. We are here to represent you when you are hurt.
Ready to start with a free consultation? Reach out for the help you need from a Myrtle Beach truck accident attorney by calling our office or completing our online contact form below.