As a parent, you do everything you can to protect your children, and yet you cannot control every situation. While accidents happen, the long-term consequences of many make those avoidable incidents particularly painful. When someone else causes that loss to you, it can seem impossible to move forward.
As a highly experienced Denny Terrace child injury lawyer, you can expect our team to work closely with you to overcome the challenges you are facing right now. A Denny Terrace personal injury lawyer at Shelly Leeke Law Firm is committed to meeting your needs. Our Denny Terrace personal injury lawyers will listen, create a strong legal strategy, and fight against those who caused you the losses you experienced.
Common Child Injuries Brought on by Negligence
Children are particularly vulnerable when an accident occurs. They are less likely to be protected in a vehicle and may suffer injuries that prevent proper brain development. Other times, children suffer injuries because they are simply not seen.
Some of the most common types of child injuries that may be due to negligence include:
- Automobile accidents: Children suffer serious injuries when involved in a car accident because seat belts and other protective gear do not keep them as safe as adults. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that in 2020, 1,093 children died in car accidents.
- Dog bites: Children are naturally curious and often trust animals even when it may not be safe for them to do so. Dog bites typically do not occur if a dog is properly restrained. Yet, this is a common reason children suffer serious injury.
- Bike accidents: A simple ride down the street or in the park can turn into tragedy if a child is struck by another driver.
- Medical errors: When best practices are not used by doctors, nurses, or hospitals, a child can suffer serious medical injury. This can begin as early as during the birthing process, creating long-term tragedy.
- Pedestrian accidents: A child walking along a sidewalk may seem safe, but a driver not paying attention could easily create a deadline outcome for that child.
These are some of the most common reasons children suffer injuries, but far from all of them. If your child was hurt and you believe someone else is responsible, seek out comprehensive support from our trusted team of child injury attorneys in Denny Terrace.
Know Your Legal Options When a Child Suffers an Injury
After such an incident, parents may not have any idea what to do to get compensation for the losses incurred. Here are several steps to take now.
Ensure Your Child Receives Comprehensive Care
The first and primary step is to focus on your child’s well-being. Avoid cutting corners. Get your child the extensive care they need now, and ensure that includes receiving the specialist care they need. Make sure to focus on their physical and mental health and wellbeing. Talk to a child injury lawyer in Denny Terrace today.
Gather Evidence in Your Case
Often, it can be challenging to gather evidence for child-related injuries since parents are not always there to see what happened, and children may struggle to provide enough details. The goal here is to determine what evidence is available. Here are a few examples:
- Videos and photos from the incident, including those posted by others on social media, may be helpful
- Witness statements about what the other person was doing prior to the accident can play a role in this process, such as a witness seeing a person text while driving
- Medical records from the other party that caused the incident could be helpful if it shows some level of intoxication at the time of the accident
- Medical reports from your child’s doctor can provide insight into what occurred based on the symptoms the child has
- Accident recreation could also shed some light on what has occurred
Even if you are unsure who caused the incident or why it happened, a Denny Terrace child injury attorney will help you. Sometimes, it is a failure of more than one person, such as a truck driver who falls asleep at the wheel due to working too many hours as required by their employer. Our goal is to hold anyone responsible accountable for what happened.
Let Us Determine Your Losses
Before speaking to insurance companies, you have to know what losses you have. It is never easy to think about the short-term and long-term consequences that come from these types of incidents, but it is critical to do so. Our team can help you navigate that process by helping you to consider all types of potential losses, including:
- Medical bills from the incident
- Rehabilitation and therapy care
- Medical equipment and medications the child needs
- Ongoing medical care needs
- Your lost time at work due to caring for your child
In addition to this, an accident like these can lead to long-term implications for your child. It is hard to know what they could have done if this incident did not happen, but we will take into consideration and file compensation claims for:
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Physical pain and suffering
- Loss of earning capacity
- Scarring and disfigurement losses and implications
Every situation is vastly different because of all of the implications that even a moderate incident can create. Our Denny Terrace child injury attorney can help you determine what is potentially to come.
Set Up a Consultation with Our Attorney in Denny Terrace Now
At the Shelly Leeke Law Firm, we are committed to our clients. Your child’s life, your financial well-being, and the future are at risk. You need a trusted attorney, one with ample experience fighting against the losses you have incurred.
Turn to our Denny Terrace child injury lawyer now for guidance, one-on-one support, and a passionate professional who is committed to maximizing your financial compensation after such a loss. At The Shelly Leeke Law Firm, you can expect aggressive legal support for you and your child today and well into the future. Set up a free, no-obligation consultation by calling our office.