When you purchase auto insurance in South Carolina, you’ll likely be advised to purchase the minimum car insurance requirements for the state, but there are additional types of car insurance coverage you can choose.
Under state law, South Carolina minimum auto insurance requirements are:
- $25,000 of bodily injury coverage for one person in one accident;
- $50,000 of bodily injury coverage for all persons in one accident; and
- $25,000 of property damage for one accident.
If the at-fault driver in your car accident only has those minimum insurance coverage limits and your medical bills and property damage exceed these amounts, then your own insurance coverage can help-if you have the right coverage.
In addition to those minimums (and you can always purchase additional bodily injury coverage beyond what is listed above), there are other types of insurance coverage you should consider purchasing.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage – this insurance coverage can help you if you are injured by an uninsured driver or the driver’s insurance policy limits are less than the damage you sustained.
- Rental Coverage – this coverage will allow you to rent a vehicle while the insurance company investigates your claim. Your insurance company will later recoup these expenses from the at-fault party’s insurance.
- Collision Coverage – this form of car insurance allows you to get your vehicle repaired immediately without having to wait for the other insurance company to finish investigating your claim.
If you are a motorist in South Carolina, then it is important for you to understand South Carolina auto insurance requirements. While these requirements dictate the minimum amount of coverage a driver in South Carolina is required to maintain, many times a serious car accident injury will surpass the limits on the at-fault party’s car insurance policy.
A Charleston personal injury attorney can look over your car insurance policy and that of the other driver to inform you of your legal options for compensation that fairly addresses all your accident-related expenses.
Contacting a Charleston Personal Injury Attorney
South Carolina residents can take comfort knowing that the attorneys at the Shelly Leeke Law Firm are there to help them settle their personal injury claims. Our firm’s focus on personal injury cases includes injury from auto accidents, including pedestrian and bicycle injuries, work-related injuries and worker’s compensation claims, and injuries resulting from dangerous prescription drugs.
For a free legal consultation, call 1-844-736-8342
Before you file a South Carolina personal injury claim, request a copy of our complimentary consumer guide, The South Carolina Accident Book for Personal Injury Victims. When you’re ready to get started on settling your accident claim, contact a Charleston personal injury attorney for a complimentary information packet and consultation – 888-690-0211.