Here are a few myths/misconceptions I have gathered from clients and other accident victims:
- If you are nice to the adjuster and act reasonably to settle your claim, the insurance company will give you a reasonable settlement for your injury case;
- When you are in an accident and the adjuster calls you for a recorded statement, you have to give them a statement or they will not settle with you;
- All personal injury lawyers are the same, so you should just pick one;
- If the accident was not your fault, the other driver’s insurance company is obligated to pay your medical bills as they don’t go in to collections;
- All lawyers charge the same fees in injury cases;
- If you were injured in a car accident and it wasn’t your fault, you are automatically entitled to a big settlement for your case;
- Just because you were in a car wreck and you didn’t cause the accident, there will be an insurance company that will pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering;
- If a lawyer sends you to a doctor, that is a really great idea;
- If a jury hears your case, you will get more money than if you accept a settlement for your case;
- There is a formula that is used to determine a fair settlement value.
None of the statements are always or even sometimes accurate, yet I have heard all of these on more than one occassion.
If you’d like further explanation on why I call these beliefs “myths” you can email me or give me a call. Or, you can find out by ordering the South Carolina Accident Book and you can read it in the comfort of your own home.