A Columbia left-turn accident attorney can make a big difference in your life. If you are involved in a left-turn accident that occurs due to no fault of your own, you can hire an attorney. From here, your lawyer can help you seek damages against anyone responsible for your accident.
The Shelly Leeke Law Firm has a team of attorneys that treat our clients with respect. Contact our law firm to speak with a Columbia left-turn accident lawyer from our team. When you do, our Columbia personal injury lawyers can help you build your case right away.
How a Left-Turn Accident Happens in Columbia
Drivers making left turns should always be conscious of whether they must yield to others at intersections. Left-turn accidents happen for many reasons, such as:
- Drunk driving: There is no excuse for drunk driving. An intoxicated driver puts others in danger and can cause a left-turn accident. In this situation, the driver can face a personal injury lawsuit and other penalties.
- Tailgating: If a driver tailgates while the motorist in front of them slows down during a left turn, an accident can occur. In this scenario, the driver tailing the motorist making the left turn can be held responsible for the accident.
- Not using a directional signal: It is paramount for drivers to use their directional signal indicators (turn signals) when making turns. If a driver turns left but does not use their directional, this motorist can cause an accident, and the motorist making the left turn can be held accountable for any injuries or property damage during the accident.
A left-turn accident attorney in Columbia understands the challenges of car crash lawsuits. The attorney can review your left-turn accident case and all that it entails to determine who is at fault. If you have a valid argument, the lawyer can help you file a personal injury lawsuit.
The Role of Evidence in a Columbia Left-Turn Accident Case
If you get into a left-turn accident in Columbia, it is beneficial to collect evidence. You can capture photographs at the accident scene to get visual proof of any injuries or property damage that occurred. Also, you can talk to witnesses and get a police report that details what happened during the incident.
A left-turn accident lawyer in Columbia can assess any evidence you have gathered and help you collect additional evidence before your trial date. On top of that, your attorney can determine the best way to present evidence to a judge or jury. This ensures you can get the most value out of the evidence at your disposal.
Evidence can prove to a judge or jury that a negligent driver caused your left-turn accident. It can compel a judge or jury to rule in your favor. Most importantly, evidence may help you get the most damages possible.
How Damages Work in a Columbia Left-Turn Accident Lawsuit
Damages refer to compensation you are awarded in a left-turn accident lawsuit. They can total tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars and come in three forms:
- Economic: You can receive economic damages for the costs of your medical treatments, any wages you lose, or other objective losses.
- Non-Economic: You can get non-economic damages for pain, emotional distress, and other subjective losses.
- Punitive: It is rare to be awarded punitive damages, but a judge or jury may choose to do so to deter an at-fault party from future negligent acts.
Your Columbia left-turn accident attorney can help you calculate a fair amount of damages to request in your lawsuit. In many instances, a lawyer will recommend their client seek economic and non-economic damages. If you have a strong case, you may be able to secure compensation without going to trial.
What It Takes to Settle Your Columbia Left-Turn Accident Lawsuit Out of Court
It can take months before your left-turn accident case goes to trial. In the time before your trial date, your attorney negotiates with the defendant. If there is an overwhelming amount of evidence against the defendant, you may receive a settlement proposal.
If you get a settlement offer, do not rush to make a decision. Instead, consider the immediate and long-term ramifications of any decision you make. You can work with your lawyer to make the best possible decision.
Your attorney can help you understand the ramifications of any decision on a settlement proposal. It is in your best interest to accept a settlement offer only if it lines up with your expectations. If a settlement proposal does not meet your expectations, decline it, and you and your attorney can continue to prepare for your trial date.
How Your Attorney Helps You Get Ready for Your Columbia Left-Turn Accident Trial
Your lawyer is your legal advocate and supports you throughout your litigation. Prior to your trial, your attorney will:
- Build an argument to present to a judge or jury
- Consider how a defendant will argue against you
- Get you up to speed on the trial process
- Answer any questions you have about what can happen during your trial
- Help you set realistic expectations for your trial
Your attorney makes the most of the time available to prepare for your trial. In addition, your lawyer wants you to feel confident when you enter the courtroom for your trial. To achieve this goal, your attorney is attentive and responds to any legal questions or concerns you have as you move closer to your trial date.
How to Identify the Ideal Attorney for Your Columbia Left-Turn Accident Case
As you look for a Columbia left-turn accident lawyer, consider the following factors:
- The lawyer’s experience in left-turn accident cases
- The attorney’s willingness to communicate and collaborate with clients
- What past clients have to say about the attorney
Schedule a date and time to meet with a left-turn accident lawyer. This gives you the opportunity to provide the lawyer with information about you and your case. You can then get insights into how the attorney will handle your case and determine if this lawyer is the ideal choice.
Hire a Columbia Left-Turn Accident Attorney from the Shelly Leeke Law Firm
The Shelly Leeke Law Firm provides instant access to a Columbia left-turn accident attorney that can help you win or settle your left-turn accident case. For more information or to request a free consultation, please contact us today.